VLC perfomance

iltsu

VLC perfomance

Post by iltsu »

I'm using fit-pc2 mainly as a media server. Recently I upgraded from Ubuntu 9.04 to Mint 9. I'm using VLC as a media player as it seems to be more tolerant to errors in ts files than mplayer. Also I need subtitle support.

Under Ubuntu 9.04 VLC performed reasonbly well. Only occasionally it started to eat all heap and swap memory and halted the whole system before crashing. During normal playback it was still smooth with non-HD tv recordings.

Mint 9 and VLC seems to much slower combination. The playback (even from fit-pc2 local disk) is much jerkier than under Ubuntu 9.04. It seems like VLC is dropping frames. I have tried to increase bufferings on VLC but that didn't help either.

Have someone succeeded using Mint 9 and VLC? Or are the better (subtitle supporting) media players available?

gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: VLC perfomance

Post by gabrielh »

Hi

Do you have this problems with all of the video formats, or just with a specific one?

Thanks
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

iltsu

Post by iltsu »

Yes, the slower performance is visible in other formats too.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

VLC is not the best solution under Linux Mint. Please use the mplayer downloaded from the Compulab repositories as described

http://www.fit-pc2.com/wiki/index.php/I ... nux_Mint_9
Gabriel Heifets

iltsu

Post by iltsu »

I have followed the fit-pc2 specific installation instructions when setting up my system. I have also tried Mplayer but has drawbacks:
- missing subtitle support. Some of my tv recordings contains subtitles
- it does not provide fluent playback for ts video format. Mpeg seems to play ok
- rewind or jump forward often fails with prompted errors with makes usage a bit painful

Vlc worked perfectly (well almost as it occasionally crashed due out of memory) under Ubuntu. I already tried to downgrade back to Ubuntu 9.04 but some of the source repositories give 404 errors. Cannot even find vlc to this old Ubuntu version anymore.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

You can install VLC player from the deb package if repository is broken. Also please look at the VLC site for the specific ubuntu version support if there a broken repositories

BR
Gabriel Heifets

iltsu

Post by iltsu »

Manual installation would be one option but it doesn't seem easy either. I have difficulties finding appropriate deb package for vlc. Even videolan web pages do not offer option anymore for Ubuntu 9.*.

Return to “Linux Mint”