fitlet-T BIOS Update?

savagemadman

fitlet-T BIOS Update?

Post by savagemadman »

Was there ever an updated BIOS produced for the fitlet-T (and-H) that allows for serial port configuration? The currently posted firmware is quite far behind their other fitlet cousins.

I have a pair of fitlet-T units that are being repurposed and could really use the serial port option.

tamir
Site Admin

Re: fitlet-T BIOS Update?

Post by tamir »

Can you please elaborate on "serial port configuration"?
what exactly are you trying to achieve with your machines?

savagemadman

Post by savagemadman »

I'm hoping for console redirection to the COM port for headless use, hopefully with BIOS access.

I'm also hoping an updated BIOS will resolve (or at least help explain) some oddness I'm seeing with the reported RAM configuration on both systems.

tamir
Site Admin

Post by tamir »

I will check with our R&D regarding console redirection feature in the fitlet-T/H.

Regarding the "Oddness" you described, please provide additional information:
Which RAM configuration?
Where it is reported?
What exactly do you experience?

savagemadman

Post by savagemadman »

The two systems are currently configured as 2x4GB DDR3L 1866MHz and 2x8GB DDR3L 1600MHz.

I was attempting to improve memory bandwidth and obtained some 1866MHz SODIMMs as that was the fastest speed listed in the BIOS configuration but quickly discovered that the faster modules had no impact on the measured bandwidth.

I then used the "dmidecode" terminal command and it reported the configured speed as 667MHz (DDR 1333MHz?) and configured voltage as 1.5v which shouldnt even be possible. I then tried forcing the clockspeed in BIOS settings and found that the option did nothing, no mater what speed was selected. The interleaving option also didnt appear to do anything for performance.

tamir
Site Admin

Post by tamir »

We're working to test 1866MHz memory modules but meanwhile we've tested 2x 4GB DDR3L 1600Mhz (PC12800) using RAMMon which reports maximum clock speed 800Mhz and maximum transfer speed DDR3-1600.

We'll report back once tested with 1866MHz modules.

tamir
Site Admin

Post by tamir »

A BIOS update with added functionality of console redirection has been added to the fitlet-T BIOS ROM files section:
https://fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php?title ... _ROM_Files

savagemadman

Post by savagemadman »

Excellent. Thank you! I was starting to give up hope on this project.

tamir
Site Admin

Post by tamir »

Please let us know if the update worked well for you.

tamir
Site Admin

Post by tamir »

tamir wrote:We're working to test 1866MHz memory modules but meanwhile we've tested 2x 4GB DDR3L 1600Mhz (PC12800) using RAMMon which reports maximum clock speed 800Mhz and maximum transfer speed DDR3-1600.

We'll report back once tested with 1866MHz modules.
We found that there is inconsistency in the operation of a 1866MHz with a module we've tested. Unfortunately since this product is fairly matured we do not have the capacity to further test additional modules in order to get conclusive results.

Return to “fitlet BIOS”