SSD not always recognized

Moderator: Andrey.Mazlin

chak

SSD not always recognized

Post by chak »

I received my fitlet2 earlier this week and have been trying to get it up and running, but there is a problem.

From a cold boot (machine off or unplugged) it works fine. But a warm reboot (like after installing Linux Mint) results in the SSD being undetected. I just get booted into the BIOS and this continues until the PC is powered off.

Hardware:
FITLET2-CJ3455
FITLET2-PARTS-FPCI
Intel 545s M.2 2280 256GB SATA III
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)

I have the BIOS set to Linux (instead of Windows) and the drive type set to SSD. I think those are the only 2 changes I made to BIOS settings. Can anyone help?

Mikael63

Re: SSD not always recognized

Post by Mikael63 »

chak wrote:I have the BIOS set to Linux (instead of Windows) and the drive type set to SSD. I think those are the only 2 changes I made to BIOS settings. Can anyone help?
Why change?
Why not try to change back?
I'm running Linux Mint 19.1 and my settings in BIOS is Windows and HDD.

Running MintBox Mini 2 Pro
https://fit-iot.com/web/products/mbm2/m ... fications/
Linux Mint Vera 21.1 Cinnamon @ MBM2 Pro

chak

Post by chak »

Why change?
Why not try to change back?
I'm running Linux Mint 19.1 and my settings in BIOS is Windows and HDD.
The first thing I did was to set the time. That is where I saw the WINDOWS setting. I was curious what the other option was (I was a longtime OS/2 user and that DID require a different BIOS setting than Windows) and when I saw it was Linux I figured "I'm exclusively using Linux, I probably should switch it to that." If that was the wrong choice I won't question it, but it seems like poor choice of labelling if "Linux" isn't the proper choice for Linux.

I switched the HDD to SSD when the reboot problem reared its head.

chak

Post by chak »

OK. I reset the BIOS to default, and the problem is still persisting. Anybody have any ideas? I mean, this isn't exactly a fully useful piece of hardware right now, and if something is faulty I certainly don't want to actually put it into use. Right now I have a $300+ paperweight.

fred44nl

Post by fred44nl »

I fully understand what you mean.
I installed Debian 9 Stretch on my Fitlet2.
when I do a shutdown, the led in the power-button goes orange.
pressing it does not boot the device, but it halts "somewhere".
the only way to go is, to either pull the power-supply or press and hold the power-button, until the orange-led goes off.
after that, the device boots properly.

chak

Post by chak »

The truly annoying thing here is the lack of response from fitPC. They specifically direct you to these forums for support, but they aren't offering any help. If they aren't going to help on the forums, they really should have a direct e-mail contact available.

Mikael63

Post by Mikael63 »

chak wrote:they really should have a direct e-mail contact available.
20190608175939.png
20190608175939.png (25.15 KiB) Viewed 16066 times
Linux Mint Vera 21.1 Cinnamon @ MBM2 Pro

tamir
Site Admin

Post by tamir »

chak wrote:The truly annoying thing here is the lack of response from fitPC. They specifically direct you to these forums for support, but they aren't offering any help. If they aren't going to help on the forums, they really should have a direct e-mail contact available.
Sorry for the late reply @chak, Compulab is located in Israel and we're just past holidays.

The first thing I've noticed is that the SSD that you're using, the Intel 545S series unfortunately is not supported on this platform.

We are currently working to populate a list of M.2 SSD of support and unsupported modules, the 545S is listed as unsupported on the fitlet2:
http://fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php?title= ... C_products

Sorry for the inconvenience.

renilrein

Post by renilrein »

chak wrote:I received my fitlet2 earlier this week and have been trying to get it up and running, but there is a problem.

From a cold boot (machine off or unplugged) it works fine. But a warm reboot (like after installing Linux Mint) results in the SSD being undetected. I just get booted into the BIOS and this continues until the PC is powered off.

Hardware:
FITLET2-CJ3455
FITLET2-PARTS-FPCI
Intel 545s M.2 2280 256GB SATA III
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)

I have the BIOS set to Linux (instead of Windows) and the drive type set to SSD. mycoles I think those are the only 2 changes I made to BIOS settings. Can anyone help?
I have also faced similar problem. Something is not working.
Last edited by renilrein on Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

tamir
Site Admin

Post by tamir »

Storage device issues do not strictly correlate to a single root cause.
Please contact our support email for assistance - fitpcsupport@compulab.co.il

Return to “General fitlet2 questions”