every half an hour

anatoly

every half an hour

Post by anatoly »

After half a year of successful work of Intence PC in mode 24/7 the problem with regular spontaneous switching-off appeared.
The configuration is the following:
  • Intel Celeron (R) CPU 847E 1.1 GHz
  • Memory 2x 2048 MB DDR3-1333 – Transcend JM1333KSM-2G
  • 8Gb SSD
The system works without monitor only with remote control. Fedora 18 is used as operating system.

Spontaneous switching-off began to appear about a month ago and had no dependence from time – could work two weeks and could switch off every half an hour. Now exact dependence is found out – switching off every half an hour. To eliminate all possible factors the following was made:
  • The change of power supply unit for the one – doesn’t solve the problem;
  • Stress test for system stability with programs SnM и Prime95 – doesn’t find out problems even with 100% download;
  • badsectors doesn’t find failure sectors or i/o;
  • gauging for new BIOS (the last from official website- CR_2.2.0.400 X64)
  • doesn’t change anything, switching-off continue (settings are reset on default);
  • Memtest86+ 5.01 failure memory units doesn’t found out (additionally the test with shut off hard disk was made)
Thermal overloads are eliminated and the dependence of switching off from temperature is not apparent as the switching off is done as at 50 °C as at 61 °C CPU. Last few days the switching off appears with some regularity – 30 minutes after start, besides it is not important if my system is loaded or memtest or any image LiveCD. We made the video fixing switching off moment. Additionally I would remark that the deviation takes place even with absence of external connections- only power supply without video Lan, mouse and keyboard, i.e. only Intence PC with connected power supply and hard disk.

Do you have some suggestions what it might be?

mbirger

Re: every half an hour

Post by mbirger »

Please try the following:
1. Enter the BIOS and verify that watchdog is disabled.
2. Connect a display, input devices and monitor the behavior.
3. Change the storage or make a clear install of the OS.
4. otherwise RMA.

anatoly

Post by anatoly »

1. Enter the BIOS and verify that watchdog is disabled.
watchdog disabled.
2. Connect a display, input devices and monitor the behavior.
no interesting data, switched off
3. Change the storage or make a clear install of the OS.
I felt only in the configuration of the voltage and Intense PC (without monitor, keyboard, mouse, HDD, etc.). Spontaneous switching-off :( .
4. otherwise RMA.
I wrote to my reseller (USA), but unfortunately I am currently in another country (Russia). Reseller "fiord" refused me service. I am waiting for information from RedPost of RMA.

emurach

Post by emurach »

It could be in UEFI Shell area. Then it wouldn't matter what os was used. It still happen. Reflash the bios.

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Before sending to RMA please try to reprogram the BIOS as emurach advise.

afelt

Post by afelt »

My IntensePC is showing exactly the same symptoms after rougly 1 year of troublefree operation.
I Checked the watchdog in the BIOS it is disabled.
Is it possible to know how this issue was solved before?

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Checking with the R&D

afelt

Post by afelt »

Thanks for keeping me posted!
this effect is really annoying.

joaofcosta

Post by joaofcosta »

Hi,
I have 2 IPC5 computers with SSD and 8Gb RAM and they're facing a similar issue: one of them is constantly rebooting itself and sometimes it just shuts down; the other has just shutted down once.
They're running VMWare ESXi and I have 4 other devices that never had any issue, only the most recent ones (bought in the last 6 months) show this behaviour.
Thermal shutdown is not an issue.

Apart from this, one of the units we bought showed some issues with one of the network interfaces.

Reading other threads, I also believe that the problem might be related with power supply malfunction. Could it be?

Please help us to find what might be the issue.

Thank you for your help.

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Very unlikely that power supply is the problem as we use the same PS with all IPC and IPC2 systems for several years already.

However, it might be related somehow to OS. I would suggest installing Compulab's official OS (Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit + drivers or Linux Mint 17, 64-bit) and check the behavior again.

Of course, check that you use the latest BIOS:
http://www.fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/IP ... _ROM_files

Then follow the troubleshooting steps:
http://www.fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/IP ... leshooting

Return to “Intense PC faults and troubleshooting”