Cannot boot from HD/SSD

rocode

Cannot boot from HD/SSD

Post by rocode »

Product: MintBox 2

Issue: Unit will not boot from HD or SSD on the main SATA connector.

Context: I got the unit in yesterday, booted it up with the hard drive that came with it, everything worked fine. I used the mintINSTALL app to install the Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) to a USB key. I then booted with that USB key, overwrote the default installed system with LMDE, and installed GRUB.

Upon booting, I see the status message for the Intel Boot Agent, as it fails to boot from network. It then drops me at the boot device menu. Attempting to boot from the hard drive fails and returns me to the boot menu without an error message. I fiddled with various BIOS settings to no success, and then replaced the hard drive with a new, blank SSD drive. I set up a DOS partition table on the device, and installed LMDE. The unit still fails to boot from the SSD, and I have tried fiddling with various BIOS settings, to no success.

The unit booted off of the hard drive the first time just fine, and only started failing to boot after I installed a new version of Linux Mint. The unit boots from Live USB installs just fine, and the Live USB can access and install to the HD/SSD.

gaborpro

Re: Cannot boot from HD/SSD

Post by gaborpro »

I also have similar issues. I have emailed an RMA request, because I think the hardware is faulting.

gaborpro

Post by gaborpro »

In my case I can only boot the machine from USB live ditribution, cant touch the hdd, and the BIOS is stating the HDD is not installed. But the first time I was able to install the os. :oops:

rocode

Post by rocode »

Solved

I solved this issue by disabling legacy boot, turning on UEFI boot, and installing Linux Mint 15 Cinammon (the ubuntu version).

While I would have prefered to use LMDE, I am just happy everything is working now. :)

Return to “Intense PC faults and troubleshooting”