Firewire (again ?)

pascal_k

Firewire (again ?)

Post by pascal_k »

Hi,
we have tried to add a firewire card to our Intense PC for some monthes.
It did never work satisfactory with the MPX-643 from Commell as the card is detected randomly by windows.
Snapshot of actual configuration
Snapshot of actual configuration
IMAG0726.jpg (100.19 KiB) Viewed 13397 times
My questions are the following :
1/ Do you have a suggestion of 1394 cards we should use ?
2/ As these 1394 cards require 3.3V and 12V power supply, is there a way to get it from the motherboard directely ?
3/ What are the settings in the BIOS I should change ?

Thanks for the help.

mbirger

Re: Firewire (again ?)

Post by mbirger »

My questions are the following :
1. We're not familiar with any firewire cards.
2. There is a way to get 12V from the board. Please refer to Intense PC HW spec document - FACE module section 6.3.
http://www.fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/Fi ... Intense_PC
3. You have to make sure full size mini PCIe slot selected as PCIe. By default it's SATA.

pascal_k

Post by pascal_k »

Its not clear to me which connector is EXT-1 and EXT-2 on the motherboard. Can you tell me where I can find this information ?

We have developped an extension for getting the 12V on the right pins.
You'll find atteched the wiring diagram and a picture of what we have done ? Do you think we are correct ?

Final queston is : how many current can we get from that connector ? What will happen if needed current by our camera exceeds the current that can be provided by the EXT-1 connector ?
IMAG0870.jpg
IMAG0870.jpg (615.14 KiB) Viewed 13148 times
Carte.pdf
(5.2 KiB) Downloaded 821 times

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Based on the attached image of the open Intense, EXT1 is the right connector (P58) and EXT2 is the left (P59).

As for the layout please refer to FACE Module HW spec sections: 1.3.2 and 1.4. Based on your image I can't see the orientation but it seems ok.

Current ratings:
Both 12V and 5V routed to FACE Module are operational power rails:
• 12V rail supplied to FACE Module via 8 pins of the B2B connector (EXT1) unregulated directly from the main power supply.
• 5V rail supplied to FACE Module via 6 pins of the B2B connectors (EXT1/2) and is a regulated output from BUCK (12V input).
• Each B2B connector pin rated for 0.5A max current.
• 5V rail let you use much more than 2A, but it should be remembered that it is sourced from 12V/5V BUCK. Refer to below explanations.

Under 90% OS load conditions without USB bus powered devices attached, Intense consumes ~26W (12V @ 2.16A).
Attaching USB bus powered devices may increase this value (you may calculate by how much taken 12V to 5V DC/DC conversion with 90% efficiency let say).
But I assume at normal use you won't exceed 3A from 12V totally.

opencompany

Post by opencompany »

Hi Pascal.
Did this 12V connector work for you?

We would like to test a StarTech MPEX1394B3 Firewire card in some of the CompuLab PCs as well and this require 12V like yours. If we could get that from the Face-module connector it would be awesome.

Any chance that we can buy this "12V / Face-module connector" from you?

Kind Regards,
Kevin
pascal_k wrote:Its not clear to me which connector is EXT-1 and EXT-2 on the motherboard. Can you tell me where I can find this information ?

We have developped an extension for getting the 12V on the right pins.
You'll find atteched the wiring diagram and a picture of what we have done ? Do you think we are correct ?

Final queston is : how many current can we get from that connector ? What will happen if needed current by our camera exceeds the current that can be provided by the EXT-1 connector ?
IMAG0870.jpg
Carte.pdf
Kind Regards,
Kevin Peter Gade

CompuLab Nordic A/S (www.compulabnordic.dk)
Danish distributor of fit-PC and other products from CompuLab since 2008.

Return to “Intense PC hardware”