Switching down Ethernet PHY on startup

ilia

Switching down Ethernet PHY on startup

Post by ilia »

Hello!
In our case we use the Fit-PC3 (model ‫‪fit-PC3-D2x2-T56N-WB-H320-XLM-FMC‬‬ - with 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports on the FACE module) as a network device.
We need the FACE module Ethernet ports - those based on the Intel 82583V chips - to be in the PHY OFF state after power ON or Reset all the time until the application decides it's OK to switch the Ethernet ports ON.
This requirement is critical as the PHY OFF state signals to the connected equipment that the Fit-PC3 machine is not ready yet -
and the appropriate actions, e.g switching to backup, are taken.
I managed to achieve the programmatic control over the PHY from the Linux network driver,
so e.g. ifconfig eth1 {up|down} changes the PHY state as expected.
However, immediately after power ON (or Reset) the PHY goes ON and stay in this state all the time until the Linux OS starts up the driver and the driver takes control.

Do You have any ideas how to start the Ethernet device in the PHY OFF state?

NOTE:
PHY ON - the "link" LEDs on the Ethernet port and on the connected switch are lit.
PHY OFF - the "link" LEDs are dark.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: Switching down Ethernet PHY on startup

Post by gabrielh »

In the upcoming BIOS release, you can switch off a PCIe device initialization at the BIOS level. I can provide you with a beta version next week upon your request. Please note that the beta version may contain unexpected issues, and you should use it on your own risk.
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

ilia

Re: Switching down Ethernet PHY on startup

Post by ilia »

Thanks a lot!!
I'd like to get this BIOS (together with the BIOS flashing instructions) to test this feature.

If you prefer to not publish the beta BIOS on the public forum,
you can contact me by the mail: ilia@embedded-solutions.co.il

Thanks !
Ilia.

Return to “Ethernet”