Kubuntu question

metricus

Kubuntu question

Post by metricus »

I see a lot of talk about 8.04 and I'm confused....let me understand this clearly: Does the fit take a stock 9.04 on it or not.

By this I mean if I load the 9.04 image on a usb stick using unetbootin, can I boot the fit-pc with it?

I currently own an eee and an AcerOne and both netbooks boot perfectly with the above method. I can then install either the netbook-remix or my preference: kubuntu.

And finally: Has anyone tried KDE 4.x on the fit-PC?

yogev_ezra

Re: Kubuntu question

Post by yogev_ezra »

Only 8.04 has the proper drivers for graphics hardware acceleration. You can of course install any Linux (not just Ubuntu 9.04) but you will be for now limited to VESA drivers.

metricus

Post by metricus »

Thank you

Is this going to be addressed soon? Is this why we are getting the ppa repository?

metricus

Post by metricus »

I will answer myself: we-re screwed!
See here:
http://www.happyassassin.net/2009/01/30 ... e-screwed/

fluffycloud

Post by fluffycloud »

Yeah, that particular link has floated around here for a while. It's a few months out of date, as we've had reports of updates that would allow the use of 8.10 with the right drivers... There are people working on the problem, including Intel. Just, noone's made 9.04 work quite yet... with no promise of 'soon', either, but eventually they'll get it. This is *not* the only computer using the GMA500 graphics, the Dell Mini 12 and the Sony Vaio P use same chips, to name a few.

-Fluffy

Return to “Linux on fit-PC2”