Input/output error during installation

embalmer

Input/output error during installation

Post by embalmer »

Hi everyone,

I bought a fit-pc2 with the 160GB hard drive about 2 weeks ago and I decided to reinstall ubuntu 9.1 because of a small problem in the original installation.

So I tried to do it. with a live version on a USB key (using 'ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso' file). I choose the basic format option : to format the whole 160GB in one partition.
The problem is that each time i get this error message during the installation process (at about 66%) :

"The installer encountered an error copying files to the hard disk:

[Errno 5] Input/output error

This particular error is often due to a faulty CD/DVD disk or drive, or a faulty hard disk. It may help to clean the CD/DVD, to burn the CD/DVD at a lower speed, to clean the CD/DVD drive lens (cleaning kits are often available from electronics suppliers), to check whether the hard disk is old and in need of replacement, or to move the system to a cooler environment
."

I check the hard drive with the hard drive utility (extended test) on the live version of Ubuntu but I didn't find any errors.
Could you help me to solve this problem ? Is it a hard drive problem or I missed something during the install (I'm a beginner on Linux).

Thanks.

Return to “Linux on fit-PC2”