Linux screensaver not seeing IR input

Ron7

Linux screensaver not seeing IR input

Post by Ron7 »

My Fit-pc2 is taking over from a heat generating Acer PC as the controller for a Sony CX777 400 DVD carousel in my HT setup. All is good except receipt IR input does not act like keyboard/mouse input to turn off the screensaver as it used to under the previous setup

This was Fedora 9 with lirc and a usb connected IR receiver. Control app is PHP from Apache localhost with UI provided by Firefox running full-screen with keyboard accelerators set to be keyed by IR from a Phillips Pronto universal remote. The PHP talks to the Sony via a USB to RS232 converter. Transition of everything to the Fit was very painless and the inbuilt IR is fine except for the screensaver issue.

I hope there is some setup I've missed for this as it is a bit of a show stopper -- or I have to deactivate the screen saver which is not an ideal thing to do for the B&O 60" plasma the Fit connects to.

Ron7

Re: Linux screensaver not seeing IR input

Post by Ron7 »

Think I may have answered my own question: the Fedora setup was using xscreensaver which may have been more open to input from other devices like IR. Have reconfig'd to use this and disable gnome-screensaver. Will report if this is the cure.

(Later) Confirmed. xscreensaver sees IR signals and deactivates when you press something. The default screensaver (gnome-screensaver) does not. If you are going to drive your Fit-pc2 totally by IR and want a screen saver, replace the defaultr. The instructions at the following url as as good as any:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=195557

Return to “Linux on fit-PC2”