Coming fully back up after power loss

Power discussions, CPU and case temperature
rickmoen

Coming fully back up after power loss

Post by rickmoen »

Question: Do fit-PC3 base units come back up into fully 'up' mode (as opposed to standby mode) after losing AC power and then regaining it? Or, at least, can they be configured to do so? I am evaluating your units to replace certain servers: One mandatory feature is the base unit coming back online without the need for anyone to push a power switch, following any power outage.

Many machines from a decade ago were made tragically unsuitable for server-role deployments by ATX power supplies that put the machines into a standby power mode after any power outage, until a human hit the power button -- and lacked any means to alter that behaviour.

L'hitraot,
Rick Moen
rick@linuxmafia.com

irads

Re: Coming fully back up after power loss

Post by irads »

Yes. fit-PC3 turns on and boots on power resume.

rickmoen

Post by rickmoen »

Thanks, Irad! If you don't mind a follow-up, is the same true of the Intense PC series, as well?

Best Regards,
Rick Moen
rick@linuxmafia.com

irads

Post by irads »

Yes. Intense PC also reboots on power resume.

ilia

Post by ilia »

Unfortunately, I observerd exactly the same bad behaviour, i.e. no automatic startup after the power loss on the brand new fit-PC3 supplied this month.
What's interesting, the machine starts OK after the power supply was yanked from the wall for a minute or so, but stuck OFF after about 2hour power outage we had in our office.
In the BIOSes I dealt with, there is the configuration parameter "what to do after power outage" with the options like "stay OFF", "always ON" and "restore last state". I hadn't find such a switch in the fit-PC3 BIOS.

Any ideas??

P.S.
The BIOS version is:SBC_2.1.0.333_12.2 X64

Ilia.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

Please go to the BIOS menu\AMD\ AC Loss Controll Setting for the desired feature
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

ilia

Post by ilia »

I acessed this parameter and it was configured as Power ON by default!
So thanks for the help, but the problem (the Fit-PC3 seldom does not starts on power-on) still here :cry:

B.T.W.
The parameter in question is located in the BIOS menu under AMD | Chipset Settings.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

Hi Ilya

Please disconnect all the attached devices to the FitPC3 and try to power cycle the FitPC3.

Do you use a stock FitPC3's hardware configuration, or a custom memory\storage\miniPCIe device?
Gabriel Heifets

ilia

Post by ilia »

"Please disconnect all the attached devices to the FitPC3 and try to power cycle the FitPC3." :o

The FitPC3 in question will be used in an unattended setup - in some basement / closed compartment etc. No people are expected to be here. Not even close. All control is through the network only. What can be done to ensure the device will always start up correctly after a power outage??

The only devices connected to this FitPC3 will be the network cables.
In the lab, there is also the DVI display (through the supplied HDMI-DVI cable) and the USB keyboard+mouse. In production environment there will be only network interfaces in use: 4 in total.
We use the stock FitPC3 HW - the version with the 4xGbE FACE module. We will use all 4 FACE module' network interfaces and leave the onboard one unused.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

Dear Ilya

I want to make myself clear. I asked you to disconnect the peripheral devices only for a test purposes to be sure that this issue purely related to the FitPC3.

Of-course FitPC3 auto on feature should work with all the peripheral devices attached, but sometimes, some devices, can cause unexpected scenarios.

I am sorry for inconvenience.
Gabriel Heifets

Return to “Power and Heat”