Displayport to hdmi adapters.. Are they needed.

DVI, HDMI (or lack of), VGA (or lack of), supported displays
Jcbbuk

Displayport to hdmi adapters.. Are they needed.

Post by Jcbbuk »

I have my first screen on hdmi, works a treat.
Second screen has a hdmi or vga inputs.
Obviously i want to use a hdmi so I need a displayport adapter to convert display port to hdmi or do I?

I have used displayport to VGA in the past with chequed success, some adapter work and some don't,
But they work in the end.

So do I purchased a cheap dp to hdmi adapter, does not even recognise it :-(
I about to buy a displayport to hdmi lead to see if this will work?

Can anyone advise please, just purchased the fitpc3 but it is not running the latest bios, shame on the uk supplier ;-) lol.
Version .8 I think.

Any help/guidance would be great, many thanks.

Jason

gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: Displayport to hdmi adapters.. Are they needed.

Post by gabrielh »

Hello Jason

Most of the passive DP to HDMI adapters should work on FitPC3. Please change the DP port setting to an "HDMI passive adapter" mode before attaching the adapter.
You may also update your BIOS version to the latest by following this guide: http://www.fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/Fi ... IOS_Update. It is advised to use the latest available BIOS for the best experience from your FitPC3.
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

Jcbbuk

Post by Jcbbuk »

gabrielh wrote:Hello Jason

Most of the passive DP to HDMI adapters should work on FitPC3. Please change the DP port setting to an "HDMI passive adapter" mode before attaching the adapter.
You may also update your BIOS version to the latest by following this guide: http://www.fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/Fi ... IOS_Update. It is advised to use the latest available BIOS for the best experience from your FitPC3.
Hi, cheers for the reply, so I need a bIos upgrade to get the display port to output to hdmi via an adapter.
This seems a little daunting, if the bios upgrade fails is the pc then broke or can it be recovered. I need it to be operational for next week and don't want to risk doing an update if it has allow success rate?

It's been a good while since I last did a bios update...

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

To check if you need a BIOS upgrade, please enter the BIOS menu and navigate to th AMD/Platform settings menu. Now look for the Display Port options. You should switch it from a Display Port to an HDMI Passive Adapter.

If you see such option, then it is not mandatory to upgrade a BIOS if you don't want to.
Gabriel Heifets

Jcbbuk

Post by Jcbbuk »

gabrielh wrote:To check if you need a BIOS upgrade, please enter the BIOS menu and navigate to th AMD/Platform settings menu. Now look for the Display Port options. You should switch it from a Display Port to an HDMI Passive Adapter.

If you see such option, then it is not mandatory to upgrade a BIOS if you don't want to.
Hi again, I have .8 from memory, I could not see the hdmi option anywhere when I looked yesterday.

How often does the bios update fail?

Thanks

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

This is a little bit hard question. If your media is ok, and you'll not have a power-loss during the update cycle, then there is no reason for the process failure .
Gabriel Heifets

Jcbbuk

Post by Jcbbuk »

gabrielh wrote:This is a little bit hard question. If your media is ok, and you'll not have a power-loss during the update cycle, then there is no reason for the process failure .
Hi again
I have just updated bios and my second screen (hdmi via a displayport adapter) does not detect.
Latest version from site.

I have changed the bios settings as instructed.

Is there anything else I need to check, the second screen works fine in hdmi, the cables etc have been checked.
I had the same issue when I first used a VGA adapter, took a while to get it working as such.

Any further assistance would be great, my unit is getting shipped tomorrow and I would love it to have two screens...

Jason

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

Can you please point me to your DP2HDMI adapter? We have checked several passive adapter, and none of them failed. However, we can't guaranty that every adapter to be compatible.
Gabriel Heifets

Jcbbuk

Post by Jcbbuk »

gabrielh wrote:Can you please point me to your DP2HDMI adapter? We have checked several passive adapter, and none of them failed. However, we can't guaranty that every adapter to be compatible.
Hi, just bought it from farnell:-

CLEVER LITTLE BOX - CVT01-03CA0203 - ADAPTOR, DISPLAYPORT TO HDMI

I have since tried another unit dp2hdmi adapter, make unknown - no joy.
Also a dp2hdmi lead, no joy.
I have another three adapts arriving tomorrow, one is a VGA unit, my last fitpc3 had one of these and the second one I tried worked.. So I will try this tomorrow.

Both screens are identical, would this cause a problem as no doubt the screen names would be the same?

Running out of things to try?

Jcbbuk

Post by Jcbbuk »

An update, tried another. 2 adapters and 2 dp2hdmi leads, no joy.

Also tried a dp2vga adapter, no joy.

Closest I got was try another screen (different make to first one), one of the adapters seems to sense the second screen but still did not output an image..

Spent a fortune on adapts and leads.. Is this even possible with new _12 bios?
Can anyone actually confirm this please.

Return to “Display interface”