Fit PC3i No display

adamham

Fit PC3i No display

Post by adamham »

Hi,

We got a PC3i 5 months ago and have been using it as a development network appliance ever since. We wanted to repurpose it so I connected it up to a monitor but there is no signal. I'm using the HDMI port. After looking at a few posts on the forum this is what I have tried:

- Update BIOS
- Remove all cables except HDMI and keyboard
- Remove SATA drive and all cables except HDMI and keyboard
- Use 2 different HDMI cables and one HDMI to DVI cable ( all of which work on a PC2i we have here)
- Tried on 3 different monitors

I can confirm the following:

There is absolutely no signal: no BIOS screen (so I'm unsure if the update worked). boot up or anything else.
The unit still boots up as the appliance so is operational.

Do you have any other suggestions? It's probably worth noting that I don't have the original HDMI-DVI connector that came with the unit.

I would like to ask as you are the experts on this: with the other units that have had similar problems and been RMA'd, have you found the display port is working? This would be useful to know as we'd rather not go and buy a displayport cable only to find it doesn't work.

I look forward to your response,
Adam

adamham

Re: Fit PC3i No display

Post by adamham »

Bump

adamham

Post by adamham »

Bueller?

adamham

Post by adamham »

Hi,

So do you have any advice please?

Cheers,
Adam

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Apologies for the delay...
Just to understand - do you have fit-PC3 (1x HDMI + 1x DP) or fit-PC3i (2x HDMI)?
Well, anyway all display interfaces should be operational.
Please follow these steps:
http://www.fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/Fi ... leshooting

If you have fit-PC3i, everything is the same except location of TP136 and TP137 test point for BIOS reset, and they are located underneath the internal SO-DIMM slot, about mirrored location that in fit-PC3.

Try to boot without storage. Are you able to get into BIOS?

adamham

Post by adamham »

Hi,

I have a 3i. It has one HDMI and one DP.

I tried to reset the bios - I connected a wire between the two points for 3+ seconds.

I still have the same problem: Absolutely no signal from the HDMI connector ( so no, I can't see the BIOS screen )

I've tried booting without storage, with storage, removing all but necessary cables, using various different HDMI leads and using different monitors. In every case there is no signal.

The unit still boots up though, so is working in every other sense.

If I could ask my original question again: To avoid having to go through RMA, and to avoid the possibly unnecessary expense of buying a DP cable, in your experience with units that have failed in the same way ( assumption based on similar posts to this forum ) , does the DP connector work when the HDMI interface has failed?

Cheers,
Adam

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

If you have HDMI and DP port is fit-PC3 (not 3i).
You say "The unit still boots up though, so is working in every other sense".
If you can't get video output how do you know that?

HDMI and DP ports are undependable and should operate as standalone or in any other way, unless the graphics and digital video engines have issues.
Then it is RMA only.

adamham

Post by adamham »

The SKU of the order was "FITPC3i-LPXLME" so you can see my confusion.

I have been using the unit as a network appliance. The OS boots, gets a DHCP address and brings the networking software up. It serves network addresses over DHCP on it's other ethernet port. The software runs on a linux subsystem but does not offer a standard linux shell I can use for debugging. I can access a web-management page served from a web server running on the unit. I can access the unit via ftp and ssh. Ergo: the unit works fine (RAM, CPU, motherboard, Ethernet Interfaces etc). Except graphics.

Do you have the information for the other units that were RMA with the same issues? Was it a graphics cards problem or an interface problem? Sounds like you don't, but this is the information I'm after.

If you can't say I'll RMA it.

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Will consult with our Linux guy...

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Please try DP cable on DP port.
HDMI connector may be broken -> RMA.

Return to “fit-PC3 faults and troubleshooting”