FitPC has died

equitius

FitPC has died

Post by equitius »

My new fitPC-3 has died. I have had it about a month and have been using it with my astronomy gear. I run it remotely over my Wifi network using VNC.

Last night it powered up but then didn't show up on my wifi network. Nor would it show up if connected via ethernet.

Thinking it was a network problem, I have brought it to work and plugged it into a monitor. Nothing. The front light is illuminated and it heats up but the pc does not even enter BIOS.

I assume from this that I have a motherboard issue rather than a hard disk problem.

Where do I go from here? The pc has data I want to hold onto - including work for a Uni project that is due late next week. Is there some way of retrieving the data? I'm in Australia so I can't see it making its way to Isreal and back in a week.

Pete

equitius

Re: FitPC has died

Post by equitius »

Looking over the other forum entries, I've tried toggling NUM LOCK and F2 to get to the BIOS screen. No response from the PC.

There is clearly power in the Fit. When I plug in an external hard drive, its power light comes on. The keyboard also has power but no obvious connection. Plugging in a mouse makes no difference.

Any other ideas?

Pete

sesterce

Post by sesterce »

equitius wrote:
Where do I go from here? The pc has data I want to hold onto - including work for a Uni project that is due late next week. Is there some way of retrieving the data? I'm in Australia so I can't see it making its way to Isreal and back in a week.

Pete
Hello Pete, take the HD out of it and plug it in another PC (by USB or other).You will at least save your data.

Jean

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

equitius wrote:Looking over the other forum entries, I've tried toggling NUM LOCK and F2 to get to the BIOS screen. No response from the PC.

There is clearly power in the Fit. When I plug in an external hard drive, its power light comes on. The keyboard also has power but no obvious connection. Plugging in a mouse makes no difference.

Any other ideas?

Pete
It's sounds like a hardware issue. Please consider to RMA the unit.
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

equitius

Post by equitius »

sesterce wrote:
Hello Pete, take the HD out of it and plug it in another PC (by USB or other).You will at least save your data.

Jean
Thanks Jean - I did that and managed to retireve the data

Pete

Poita

Post by Poita »

Seems to be a very common issue. Happened to me twice now. First time was an RMA from Australia and they replaced the SBC.
Now it's happened again. Cant say I am very impressed at all.

benklaasen

Post by benklaasen »

I've just registered here to add a "me, too". Bought my Fit-PC 3i last August, it sat unused for months until I had enough cash to stuff it with RAM and a hard disk during November; now it's died in the manner described in this post after a few weeks of very light use. It powers on, but there's no POST or BIOS messages. The screen detects there's something there because it wakes up, waiting for a signal, but nothing arrives so it goes back to sleep after a minute or two. Very disappointing.

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

• Just in case verify CMOS battery is not discharged. Let the computer stay powered for 24 hours (best in the BIOS screen to ensure no Low power state)

Return to “fit-PC3 faults and troubleshooting”