Audible humming / ticking in fit-PC3

irads

Audible humming / ticking in fit-PC3

Post by irads »

fit-PC3 emits a soft audible humming and ticking sound during operation. The sound level similar to that of a laptop hard disk.

The source of the sound is in the on-board switching power circuit. It is by design and does not indicate a hardware problem and has no effect on the long-term reliability or fit-PC3 therefore it is considered normal.

tCC

Re: Audible humming / ticking in fit-PC3

Post by tCC »

by design, so the next batches still contain the humming/buzzing ? :S

irads

Post by irads »

Yes, currently there is no plan to redesign the power circuit.

tCC

Post by tCC »

hmm, too bad, that was my reason to buy a (quiet) fanless pc

irads

Post by irads »

fit-PC3 is by far more quiet than a PC or a laptop with a fan.

mirumu

Post by mirumu »

Yes, it sounds like the little ticks of laptop hard drive seeking, but unlike a laptop HD, it doesn't ever stop doing it.

I understand that you consider this to be normal behaviour and that it doesn't affect the reliability which was certainly my initial concern, but if I can offer some customer feedback I would recommend fixing this problem. The noise is quite irritating when you're sitting close to the Fit-PC3. At 1 meter away it's louder than my Macbook Pro.

prpixel

Post by prpixel »

I have to agree with Mirumu on this. One of the big selling points if the FitPC3 is that it's suppose to be totally silent. There are many other small and power efficient computers that compete with the FitPC3. The problem with these competitors is that that have a fan to cool the CPU/case. If it comes down to choosing between a computer that clicks like a windup clock or the whirl of a fan, I'd probably choose the fan. I've been saving my pennies waiting for the second batch of FitPC3's, but this could be a deal breaker for me. Please track down the offending part and fix it.

Thanks,

tCC

Post by tCC »

True, my htpc with several fans (controlled by speedfan) is less annoying than my fit-pc3. If I knew that, I bought a mac mini instead.

Anyway, besides the humming/buzzing I do like the fit-pc3 a lot!

Ziggo

Post by Ziggo »

I also was waiting for the second batch, but now I'm going to reconsider my decision to buy it. The only reason I want fit-pc3 is because it's supposed to be silent. What's the point to not have fans, if I am expected to listen to annoying HDD-like ticking. As a matter of fact I just bought a new SSD for my laptop for the very same reason - because I hate the noise and the ticking of my HDD. I waited almost a year to get your fit-pc3 and I have no plans to wait more, so give me exact answer. Do you consider fix it or should I go and buy other htpc. Thanks!

hkk

Post by hkk »

type following on your linux console:

perl -e '$a++ while 1' &

Ironically, fit-pc3 will be totally silent. However, fit-pc3 becomes hot. :oops:

Please redesign the power circuit. I hope you solve this problem.

Return to “fit-PC3 faults and troubleshooting”