Optical SPDIF issue(?)

peli_can1

Optical SPDIF issue(?)

Post by peli_can1 »

Hi, new user here! I have just started using the fit-pc 3 Pro I got from my employer a few of years back. My plan is to use it as a media center. To get nice audio I would like to connect the optical output of the fit-pc to my external DAC, but the optical output does not seem to work. There is no red light coming out of the output, and the DAC cannot sync. I'm running Linus Mint 17 Qiana. I have selected the digital IEC 958 in the Control Panel for audio output.
Anything else that need to be done to enable digital output?
Best regards,
Peter

peli_can1

Re: Optical SPDIF issue(?)

Post by peli_can1 »

Ok, so I guess the spdif is electrical father than optical :oops:
I purchased a rca-3.5 mm adapter + a 75 ohm rca cable, but still no luck getting a sync lock on the dac Btw, the DAC is an RME ADI-2 that syncs fine to a PC.
I'm beginning to think that the PC-3 is broken... That is it never worked (?).

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Correct, our products use an electrical SPDIF. It should be operational, but of course 3rd party equipment must support it as well.
Please make sure all the drivers installed and that you connect it properly. RCA plug pinout is shown in fit-PC4 (same as in fit-PC3) overview presentation, page 22:
http://fit-pc.com/download/fit-pc4/docu ... erview.pdf

What OS are you using?

peli_can1

Post by peli_can1 »

Hi !
Thanks for your reply!
I use Linux Mint 17.
After looking at the specification you pointed at, it seems that SPDIF and audio ground get shorted in the 3.5 mm mono plug that I use . Probably not good ?

Meanwhile I solved the issue temporarily by buying a cheap USB card with an toslink output, but it would be great to find a proper solution.
I really like the fit-pc 3 btw.

I'll try to find a proper plug.

Best regards,
Peter, Stockholm

peli_can1

Post by peli_can1 »

Problem solved!
I bought a 4 pole 3.5 mm plug -> RCA and it worked like a charm.
Again, Thanks.
Peter

Return to “fit-PC3 hardware”