WiFi Chipset

johnsandiford

WiFi Chipset

Post by johnsandiford »

What is the 802.11b/g/n WiFi chipset used in the fit-PC3?

irads

Re: WiFi Chipset

Post by irads »

Module is based on Realtek RTL8188CE for WiFi and CSR BC04 for BT.

prpixel

Post by prpixel »

Possible to change to an Intel 6205 or 6300 card?

Thanks,

irads

Post by irads »

Sure, just take out the module and install any other miniPCIe WiFi module.

cdw

Post by cdw »

Do you know if the bluetooth module supports HID proxy mode during boot, so a bluetooth keyboard can be used in the BIOS until the host OS bluetooth stack is up?

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

Hello

No, it is not for now
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

fede

Post by fede »

irads wrote:Sure, just take out the module and install any other miniPCIe WiFi module.
Please note that not all miniPCIe WiFi modules fit. I have bought an AzureWave AR5BHB92 module that would otherwise fit perfectly, but I cannot install it as it has a metal plate on the underside (presumably protecting some component) that collides with a chip on fitPC's motherboard right were the miniPCIe socket is, and does not allow pushing the card enough for the retention clip to grab it.

I think it could be possible to still use the module provided the retention clip is removed so some other way can be used to hold the card into place using the holes both in the motherboard and the module. However, no disassembly guide is provided for the fitPC, and I am not completely sure I would be able to put it together again afterwards without a guide. Can you please provide such a guide? Is there any other alternative to be able to use the module I bought?

Finally, I would like to ask for this limitation to be documented on the wiki or somewhere else, possibly with a list of WiFi modules known to fit and work. As this thread and my experience suggests, there will be people swapping the module and some may encounter this same issue.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

First of all, let me apologize for your frustration caused by the lack of the relevant documentation. Basically miniPCIe modules with components/additional plate at the bottom side may not fit. We will publish the limitation regards the miniPCIe modules at our website
Gabriel Heifets

fede

Post by fede »

Thank you Gabriel. I will still be able to use the card in one of my other computers so it is not a complete loss. Knowing that this has helped you identify this limitation and that it will now be documented is very good. I am otherwise extremely pleased with the impressive piece of hardware the fitPC 3 is, so it is not really a big deal.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

Thank you fede. You feedback is very important to as, and this is not a canned answer. We are doing our best to make our customers satisfied with our computers, and a positive feedback is a great reward for our efforts.
Gabriel Heifets

Return to “fit-PC3 hardware”