fit-PC3 Block Diagram

irads

fit-PC3 Block Diagram

Post by irads »

Attached please find fit-PC3 block diagram.
You are welcome to post any questions you may have.

Block diagram updated 17-Nov-2011
- Updated HDMI interface
- Added BT3 to WLAN
- Updated SPI and SMBus interfaces
- Specified make of onboard controllers
Attachments
fit-PC3-block-diagram.jpg
fit-PC3-block-diagram.jpg (546.17 KiB) Viewed 19589 times
fit-PC3 block diagram.pdf
(1.06 MiB) Downloaded 1118 times

prpixel

Re: fit-PC3 Block Diagram

Post by prpixel »

So, the Msata slot supports SATA-3? Leaning toward using a Msata SSD for a boot drive and a 5400RPM 2.5" drive for data.

thanks,

gzm55

Post by gzm55 »

irads wrote:Attached please find fit-PC3 block diagram.
You are welcome to post any questions you may have.
What does "sata-3" means, "sata 3Gb/s" or "sata III 6G/s"?
Does fit-PC3 support SATA-IO Revision 3.1 Specification?

irads

Post by irads »

SATA-3 in the block-diagram = SATA revision 3 up to 6 Gbps.

derek

Post by derek »

Can the RTC battery be replaced by the user when it goes flat? c.f. the fit-PC2 where it can't (I believe)

irads

Post by irads »

The RTC battery in both fit-PC2 and fit-PC3 is rechargeable so normally it does not need to be replaced. The battery is soldered-on.

Andy

Post by Andy »

Hi there,

It is a pity that the CMOS battery is soldered-on. This is the Achilles heal of every fit-PC! I think it is fair to say that every CMOS battery in every fit-PC will fail at some point. Going by my own experience, CMOS batteries seem to last about 10 years on average.

I don't buy a new computer very often, and I would expect to be using a fit-PC for as long as my previous computer - at least 10 to 15 years. This means that I (and probably many other people) will certainly have to confront a CMOS battery replacement at some point. This is of course true for most computers, but most computers offer very easy access to the CMOS battery. Its like the chain on a bicycle, its a consumable component, it eventually wears-out and needs to be replaced. New chains can be purchased everywhere, so it will never present a reason to buy a new bicycle. If the chain could not be replaced, you would have to say that the bicycle has a degree of 'built-in obsolescence', as its working life will end sooner than is really necessary.

One way to mitigate this problem, would be to make it as painless-as-possible for fit-PC owners to replace their own CMOS batteries when the time comes. It would increase my confidence in the fit-PC 3 Pro, to know exactly what would be involved in replacing the CMOS battery. A simple take-apart guide with photos/diagrams of the motherboard and battery, and a description of the pertinent details etc. would be helpful.

I understand that it will void the warranty if anyone replaces the battery themselves. However, as every battery WILL fail, and most will fail long after the warranty has expired, it is something that every owner should be aware of, and comfortable to deal with. Even if someone does not know how to solder, they can always take their fit-PC motherboard and their brand-new CMOS battery, to their local electrical repair shop, and ask a professional to do the soldering for a nominal charge.

Thanks very much for your help

Andy

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

Hello Andy

This is a rechargeable CMOS battery. It will recharge every time you power on your Fit-PC3, so, to deplete it, your should leave your Fit-PC3 unpowered for a couple of years. You should be not worried about this concern.
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

Andy

Post by Andy »

Hi Gabriel,

Thanks very much for your reply to my question. I am reassured that the CMOS battery will last a long time and so does not normally need to be replaced. However, I have noticed that a problem has occurred with at least one fit-PC2 CMOS battery:

http://www.fit-pc.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... c9e#p11862

Therefore, I would be grateful if you could tell me whether fit-PC3 uses the same type of CMOS battery as fit-PC2 ?

Thanks again for your help

Kind Regards

Andy

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

Hi Andy

The Fit-PC3 uses a ML1220 battery for the CMOS backup purposes.
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

Return to “fit-PC3 hardware”