Network controllers and USB 3.0 bus appear in Safely Remove Hardware [Solution]

Crispy3000

Network controllers and USB 3.0 bus appear in Safely Remove Hardware [Solution]

Post by Crispy3000 »

Hi,

I know its doubtful anyone is still fiddling with these devices but I am for first time.

I found the that ethernet card / wireless card / usb 3 bus all appeared under the "safely remove hardware and eject button" that you would use for external drives etc. I found this rather disturbing as a miss click would get me off the network.

Here is how to fix it (basically take away the removable flags set by the drivers on startup)

Code: Select all

Must Login as Administrator
Find Device DWORD Value in Regedit
Create command line in Schedule Task as SYSTEM
Works for various system devices connected, and modification is easily reversible by simply deleting the Schedule Task created

Details:

1. Locate Your Device(s) in Regedit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\

This will bring up a list of available hardware connections. For SATA DVD-rom drives, and hard drives look under IDE. For Video Cards look in PCI.

2. Once you find your device, expand it and click on the first key folder under it (looks something like 4&15e311de&0&0.1.0).
· The Capability value in this key folder should be greater than 0.
· Take a note of the Capability number (my dvd-rom drive is set at 6)

3. Right-click the key folder and select Copy Key Name.

4. Open Task Scheduler > Create Task > and set the following parameters:

Change User or Group (Under Security Options) and set it to SYSTEM
Configure for: Chose your platform
 Triggers Tab > New > Begin the Task > At Startup
 Actions Tab > New
- Program/script: reg.exe
- Add arguments: add "paste your copied key name here" /v Capabilities /t REG_DWORD /d Your Capability Number minus 4 here /f

Example: add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\IDE\CdRomOptiarc_DVD_RW_AD-7240S_________________1.01____\4&15e311de&0&0.1.0" /v Capabilities /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f

5. Right-click the new Scheduled Task and click Run. You should see the results immediately. Logoff/Logon and the safely remove your hardware icon will be gone if there are no removable devices connected.

·To undo the changes you made above, simply remove it from your schedule task and reboot. Without the Schedule Task, the system will automatically restore the registry values back to their original after a reboot.

I have tested everything I wrote above, and it is working great. Enjoy!
I ended up with these three lines:

Ethernet card
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_816810EC&REV_03

reg.exe add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_816810EC&REV_03\4&1fe26b7f&0&00A8" /v Capabilities /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
USB HOST
PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_8241&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_02

reg.exe add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_8241&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_02\080028000020000000" /v Capabilities /t REG_DWORD /d 16 /f
Wireless
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8176&SUBSYS_20571A3B&REV_01

reg.exe add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8176&SUBSYS_20571A3B&REV_01\019181FEFF4CE00000" /v Capabilities /t REG_DWORD /d 16 /f
Hope this saves someone else some time.

Crispy

Return to “Windows on fit-PC3”