Tip for 64-bit Linux

vtailor

Tip for 64-bit Linux

Post by vtailor »

In 64-bit Linuxes, I think it helps to run the radeonfb.ko kernel module in addition to the radeon.ko kernel module, in terms of improving full-screen streaming-video quality.

Definitely runs html5 benchmarks faster under 64-bit Linux. (Remembering that the most recent 64-bit google chrome eliminates tests that still run under other, slower browsers.)

Verify for yourself.

Benchmark of around 900, well above Samsung, on the basic basic fit-pc3.
Attachments
screen.png
screen.png (303.21 KiB) Viewed 11570 times

vtailor

Re: Tip for 64-bit Linux

Post by vtailor »

Here is the ranking that comes out of running the browser benchmark, noting that other browsers enable tests no longer enabled in google chrome for 64 bits.
Attachments
screen.png
screen.png (340.1 KiB) Viewed 11566 times

vtailor

Post by vtailor »

Adding the 64-bit libva and libvdpau cause the Peacekeeper Benchmark to go up from 849 to 901. That is for the basic basic 1 G fit-pc3, and it places that fit-pc3 right between the two Apple wireless telephones. So, if Apple is not using the AMD chipset, it ought to.

Streaming flash video also improves in quality. For some reason, I have a problem with 32-bit Slackware running the Peacekeeper Benchmark.

vtailor

Post by vtailor »

Isn't it peculiar how the Peacekeeper Benchmark is a slippery target and varies over Time? Still, 50 points one way or another is still 50 points.

vtailor

Post by vtailor »

The very latest kernel.org kernel claims that it causes noticeable improvement in AMD video speed. So, I compiled the kernel for the fit-pc3 pro and ran the Peacekeeper benchmark, first with the old Slackware-Current kernel, then with the 3.12.0-rc5 kernel I had compiled. That way, the Peacekeeper was hopefully held constant. Under the original kernel the benchmark is 1435, while under the 3.12.0-rc5 kernel, the benchmark is 1444. And, things really move around in the benchmark with the newer kernel.

P. S. I had lost the linux analog audio in this fit-pc3 pro. Rather than discard it, I left it on a shelf for a few weeks. Surprise, the audio came back as though it had never been gone. I conjecture it was a miracle of sorts, since I had a similar experience with a fit-pc2 z510 that I thought was fried. Self healing?

vtailor

Post by vtailor »

I should note that the rc2 version of this kernel works better overall than the rc5 version, both in 32-bit RIPLinuX and 64-bit Slackware. The rc5 version has an ohci usb port problem and causes file-system and wifi failures on the Intel gma500 series.

Return to “Linux on fit-PC3”