Two things the Fitlet needs

Dual Ethernet, 5.1 Audio, Standard HDMI... post here everything fit-PC2 does not have and you wish it had. We listen.
bennyc

Two things the Fitlet needs

Post by bennyc »

So far I have been very happy with the two fitlets I bought to play with. I had at least 4 client applications in mind and so far, all needs have been met with two glaring omissions.

While they have been mentioned before, it was some time ago and I wanted to push them a bit again.

With the Fitlet spruiking its FHD HDMI outputs, the application as an HTPC is obvious. Thus the lack of IR receiver. The only thing that will keep my 6yr old mac mini HTPC in place until it dies is the internal IR. I have been very impressed with the performance of the Fitlet with OpenElec installed, it is brilliant but currently requires a mouse, USB IR (not pretty) or Android app to control it (that does work well but is not as convenient as the Apple remote). If anyone knows a bit more about it, perhaps there is a simple fix to include one connected to the GPIO headers? I have no idea what is involved (nor can I find the GPIO pins on my fitlet-I, wrong model?), there is plenty online about doing it on a Raspberry Pi. Perhaps an HTPC FACET card for a Fitlet-X? A mini PCIe card that replaces the WiFi card and puts an IR receiver in an antenna socket?

The other missing feature, as mentioned some years ago, is PoE support to power the unit which would make the Fitlet a very nice option as a small discrete firewall (which is already is with Pfsense installed but it would be neater without a power pack). Again, I can see that a modified FACET card would be the best option for this on the X model.

Thanks

irads

Re: Two things the Fitlet needs

Post by irads »

Thank you for the input.
These two features - IR and PoE client are often debated internally.

There are affordable workaround for both features -
For OpenELEC - a multimedia keyboard like Rii or Unisen is far more capable than IR. There are combos that contain keyboard, air-mouse and programmable IR for the TV set.

For PoE - D-link and others have compact splitters power/LAN, but there I agree a FACET would be more elegant.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

bennyc

Post by bennyc »

I agree on the functionality options available for OpenElec but nothing is going to beat the sheer simple convenience of the Apple remote in a very kid friendly and robust form factor. My remote regularly gets dropped, thrown, trodden on and fought over, a multimedia keyboard is larger, heavier, more expensive and less able to withstand physical abuse (also why an android app is less appropriate). Apple remotes are also cheap and readily available. My 7 year old has been happily using it since he was four to find his shows. I am currently using a FLIRC USB-IR keyboard emulator programmed to the Apple remote quite successfully but it is a bit ungainly.

With the flexibility and range of uses for the Fitlet, this is a fairly niche application but I think one that it is well suited for.

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Thanks for the feedback

Return to “Wish list”