Some small suggestions for fit-pc2

Dual Ethernet, 5.1 Audio, Standard HDMI... post here everything fit-PC2 does not have and you wish it had. We listen.
teetee1

Some small suggestions for fit-pc2

Post by teetee1 »

Nothing major here. I just thought of some little things that could be improved.
1. better case design. The current 2-piece design is OK. However the back panel could have metal tabs to get a better fit with the top casing piece.
2. the DC-in connector is really loose. Just as someone mentioned before, it is better to have a lock mechanism on the power connector.
3. Kensington security slot (laptop lock hole) for public oriented box.
4. The two micro USB ports at the front panel are too close to each other. It's impossible to fit two micro USB male connectors into those two USB ports.
5. power switch at the front panel is too sensitive for me. It would be better to have a power button that's not sticking out of the front panel.
6. make some slots on the side panel and maybe the top casing for air flow.
7. the chip and the cpu metal heat sink can be thicker. The current rubbery-feeling material between the heat sink and the chip is unnecessarily thick. I prefer to have a thicker metal heat sink with bigger surface area and have a thin layer of Arctic silver 5 paste between the chip and the heat sink to improve the heat dissipation.
8. For the server, IR is not required. It would be nice to have one extra usb port.

fluffycloud

Re: Some small suggestions for fit-pc2

Post by fluffycloud »

Some of these ideas are for specific use-cases and not generic. However, I will second a number of these ideas.

>1. better case design.
I think the current case design is OK. the ports don't line up exactly, but it's "close enough for government work" as we say. I found it interesting that the rear usb ports weren't flush mount, but were recessed a bit.

>2. the DC-in connector
I couldn't get mine to go in all the way, and it's kind of disturbing to see that much bare metal protruding from the power connector. I shoved it in pretty hard too, it just won't go any further.

>3. kensington security slot
I'd love to have one of these too.

>5. power switch at the front is too sensitive.
I'm okay with how sensitive it is, but agree that maybe it shouldn't be sticking out. Flush or recessed would be good.

-Fluffy

ble0t

Post by ble0t »

I agree with 2, 4 and 5 for future improvements...

irads

Post by irads »

OK, I'll relate...

2. The bare metal is gnd, anyway future power plugs will soon have shorter metal plug sticking out.

3. No room for Kensington (it requires a lot of space on the inside, and has a very thick lock on the outside). Other securing solution is coming along.

5. Flushing the button would make the whole box larger.

Ron7

Post by Ron7 »

8. For the server, IR is not required. It would be nice to have one extra usb port.

No no! Not everyone is server-centric. The IR is a terrific feature and does no harm if you don't use it. I'd like to see a mini jack for the IR receiver diode so it can be remotely located from the box. Possibly an IR sender as well (with mini jack) so the Fit can control other devices hidden away in the same dark cavity.

Ryelands

Post by Ryelands »

[quote="irads"] . . . future power plugs will soon have shorter metal plug . . .

It would be very useful if you could either provide a source for these plugs or offer them for sale as I cannot find the right size in the UK (though I now have a box full of nearly-rans).

TIA

Dave

irads

Post by irads »

See http://www.fit-pc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=351 for dimensions.
If it's important to you to have a shorter plug you can just stick a nylon washer as a sleeve on the existing plug.

Ryelands

Post by Ryelands »

It's not a question of a shorter plug but one with the proper diameters.

Everything I've tried (I need to use a linear PSU, not the stock SMPS) either doesn't fit at all or is a tiny bit too loose so, if you so much as touch it, the Fir-PC2 freezes, presumably due to a little "brownout".

For now, I've stolen the plug off the SMPS but it's not a good long-term solution.

TIA

Dave

irads

Post by irads »

Diameters are specified in post linked above.

Return to “Wish list”