Headless "server" model

Dual Ethernet, 5.1 Audio, Standard HDMI... post here everything fit-PC2 does not have and you wish it had. We listen.
amix

Re: Headless "server" model

Post by amix »

Hi,

I see, many of the issues have been addressed with the new model. I am extremely happy about the RS232 and the 2nd NIC.
I use Hylafax, a fax-server, that allows to send/schedule faxes from any machine in my network and it uses a stand alone office modem, that I need to hook to the serial port.

Also, for media boxes, an RS232 is a nice thing to have, since several AV receivers (Rotel, NAD, etc.) use these for control and firmware update.

When I today found out about the fitpc2i I was already going to contact the local reseller in order to replace my current server (So370 VIA C3 on VIA C3M266) but stopped, when thinking about the harddisk problem.

Even a 500GB 2.5" disk is not enough, but even more so, not reliable enough for a home-server. I then checked the net for affordable NAS systems and realized, that it is cheaper to build one myself based on the Intel Essential Series D945GSEJT. And once I was there, I realized, that, with a little more RAM, a PCI NIC I get a similare product as the fitPC2i, though not as neat, priced similarily.

So, this is where I am now. The only real solution to the problem would be large capacity 2.5" HDD built for server mode (does not exist, IMO, and if, too expensive) and an additional (or two) in the fitPC2.

I did a little rendering to show sizes, in the first image the box is approx the size needed to hold three 3.5" disks (RAID5), with the electronics and PSU circuit being in the fit-PC2:

amix

Post by amix »

edmidor wrote:1. SheevaPlug consumes between 3 and 7 W depending on load
http://www.cyrius.com/journal/debian/ki ... onsumption
fit-PC2i 'fits' me much more than SheevaPlug. But that's a matter of taste, I guess. Now we have alternatives.
2. RAM: Server that can actually do something useful must satisfy LAMP requirements, and its most definitely higher then 128Mb
That is relative and depends where you run LAMP (how many users/requests). I have ran my home-server (2 users) for a year with 256MB RAM (Linux, Samba print&file, OpenLDAP, Apache2, sshd, postfix, leafnode, SANE flawlessly). It ran better with 512MB RAM, however, but then it had some free.
3. HDD: Running two "green" 3.5" disks in a single RAID1 box with good power management is much more flexible and efficient solution - this way this box could be user as a server for those who can run without HDD at all - thus saving much more energy then by saving on RAM
Problem is size and number of boxes. One can replace the 'fit' with a 3x 3.5" HDD RAID5 system, an Intel mini-ITX board, which does only need a 12V/3,3A external PSU, 1GB of RAM and, with a DIY case, stay smaller, than with an industry standard case.

But I am getting off-topic. I am pretty amazed by the fit-pc2i, as it is now, and I think, it is a good overall concept. What I really would welcome, would be a NAS, matching this little system. With an embedded controller it could be made not much bigger, than two, or three 3.5" disks, and, with a little bit of engeneering, maybe even fanless in an alu case and/or lots of ventilation.

So, my dream machine would be a fit-pc2i with a 8GB SSD inside and a matching storage NAS with 2x or 3x 3.5", as small as possible (and no vertical alignment of disks). Ideally it would use a chipset with eSATA and allow the external storage device t be plugged as eSATA and not as NAS. Makes it maybe a little cheaper and less power-consuming, overall.

XSNomad

Post by XSNomad »

Well, I'm not sure about others, but My server runs a hell of alot more ram then 128MB.

And I don't have all that extra Jazz running. Who ever said they had 10 apache clients running I'd love to see his TOP SS.

I have SSH, FTP, and Samba running. I cap out 1GB after a few days. The system handels about 10-15 users as my apartment complex uses the server for streaming music/video's thru samba.

Return to “Wish list”