Other CPU options...

Dual Ethernet, 5.1 Audio, Standard HDMI... post here everything fit-PC2 does not have and you wish it had. We listen.
maadamos61

Other CPU options...

Post by maadamos61 »

http://www.crn.com/news/components-peri ... tc=refresh

Just reading about the Nvidia Tegra 2 chips. Sound like these may be good replacement for the Intel Z5xx instead of the Intel Z6xx or the E6xx, i.e. when Microsoft releases a Windows version for Arm chips.
Just wondering whether any of the AMD fusion chips will work in this setting. I am not sure since they only go down to 9 Watts versus about 2 watts for the Oak Trail chips.
Would be nice to know what others think.

irads

Re: Other CPU options...

Post by irads »

That is very insightful!
See http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/19/comp ... less-than/
More news to follow...

maadamos61

Post by maadamos61 »

@irads, No, I do not have any insider information about Compulabs. :) Looking at the difference between when you responded to my email and when you did the official posting of fit pc3 I am made to think that you got goose bumps and therefore decided to let the cat out of the bag. :lol:
I would like to see a Tegra2 in the fit pc2i box, if MS could write a version of Windows for ARM. Good luck on the fit pc3. If properly priced it just might take the HTPC by storm. Keep the good products coming.

irads

Post by irads »

All I can say to that is stay tuned...

irads

Post by irads »

maadamos61 was spot-on.
See www.trimslice.com

pto

Post by pto »

Niiiiiiiiice :)
Is there a mailing list, where I can subscribe to those press emails? Also on the Fit-PC3...

cyrusfox

Post by cyrusfox »

I just found this device on Gizmag http://www.gizmag.com/compulab-announce ... echnology)

I am new to fit PC's but the zacate chip from AMD had me all excited about getting a tiny desktop that actually could perform(really haven't been a fan of Atom and its lackluster performance.) I spent a couple hours last night dreaming of what mini-itx case I could find or craft that could hold one of the mini-itx boards coming out. Now I find this, and there is no way I could craft something this simple and beautiful. Good job!

I really really hope they create this pc3 in a bare form factor option(no ram or HDD). I would be okay with leaving wireless as default on this as I imagine fitting a mini-PCI-E Wireless card/antenna would be a bit complicated. I am super impressed. That is the best form factor I have ever seen. Now how did they cram a 2.5" HD in there? Also, pure genius, get rid of DVI/VGA, include the Display port connector so any format can be outputted with an appropriate adapter(I have plenty thanks to my Radeon cards and my attempts at eyefinity).

My only minor critique would be is to keep the SD card reader as I see it on the fitpc2, it would be sweet to have an SDXC card in this, some could even forgo the HD or have a separate OS on the other drive. Not to mention SD is so ubiquitous and this machine is so media friendly that I think most would prefer it over a couple of USB 2 ports.

Please keep us updated on price and availability

irads

Post by irads »

Note taken, thanks.

The US15W chipset in fit-PC2 incorporates SD controller, so bringing it out is an obvious decision. The Hudson chipset in fit-PC3 does not. This complicates design, adds cost and implies on SD boot.

cyrusfox

Post by cyrusfox »

No SD, no problem. I just sort of loved the way it looks in the Fit-PC2. I find it odd that AMD didn't work that into the hudson controller. Most people have lots of SD-usb adapters anyway, and as long as USB boot is there, really won't affect those who need it from time to time.

Either way I'll be following the launch of this product. Keep up the great work!

Return to “Wish list”