HTPC / XBMC edition

Dual Ethernet, 5.1 Audio, Standard HDMI... post here everything fit-PC2 does not have and you wish it had. We listen.
srv1973

HTPC / XBMC edition

Post by srv1973 »

I'm very impressed with the low power requirements of the fit-pc2 and I'd love to use it as a media center / small home server in my living room. But I have a few problems with the current specs though:
  • fit-pc2 doesn't have digital audio out, so not good for a
  • fit-pc2i doesn't have the IR receiver built in
  • Poulsbo is badly supported on linux, HD video playback is only supported with a special mplayer version (but not with generic ffmpeg-based applications, specifically XBMC)
So I'd just love to see a version of the fit-pc targetted specifically at media center applications, with:
  • 1 free mini-PCIe slot for a broadcom chrystalHD card (which is supported by XBMC on linux for hardware accelerated video decoding, apparently using <2w under load).
  • wifi + ethernet
  • harddisk 250G or so
  • IR receiver
  • Bunch of USB/eSATA ports
  • DVI/HDMI
  • S/PDIF
  • slim DVD or BD drive
  • 2GB RAM (since I want to run a couple of small server apps on this)
This would likely require a case that is a bit larger than the current fit-pc2, which I wouldn't mind at all as the current case is just tiny. Power consumption would probably also be a little higher than the current fit-pc, but it would still be lower than almost any other "nettop" PC (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nettop).

irads

Re: HTPC / XBMC edition

Post by irads »

But how much are you willing to pay for that?

srv1973

Post by srv1973 »

Hi Irads :)

Well, as I see it, this wishlist configuration could be seen as the fit-pc2i with the following extras:
  • IR receiver
  • That broadcom thingie
  • DVD/Bluray drive
and minus:
  • 1 Gigabit ethernet port
  • Serial port
I assume that the IR receiver instead of the Serial port doesn't add any net cost. As I understood from an earlier post from you, each Gigabit ethernet port takes up a mini-PCIe slot, so I assume that there's 1 mini-PCIe ethernet card less in such a system. Not sure how much that would reduce the cost.

That Broadcom card is sold for around $69 retail, wholesale would be lower of course (apparently they go "as new" on eBay for around $20).

A slim internal DVD burner seems to go for around $50 retail. I can't find any quote for a bluray right now :(

The case will have to be bigger, so that adds cost. I understand that there's no eSATA in poulsbo, so drop that. Replacing the second ethernet port with extra USB ports would be nice.

Adding all that up (assuming a DVD drive):
fit-pc2i + $50 DVD drive + $20 Broadcom + $10(?) case

If I'm way off here, feel free to correct me though! :)

ps. some people might suggest using the ION platform, but it seems that platform has significantly higher power consumption than the fit-pc...

ypnos

Post by ypnos »

I think it is always good to look at competition to see what the customer is willing to pay.

I also bought the FIT-PC for HTPC use and I compared with Dune HD players. Their current revision without a BD drive is in the same price range as the FIT-PC2. With BluRay drive included, it is $100 more.

Advantages of FIT-PC:
* Hard drive included
* Wifi included (but no 802.11.n)
* Fully controllable desktop system
* Way smaller
* (Probably) less power consumption

Advantages of Dune:
* Better audio output, and lots of
* Designed and trimmed for best media playback experience
* Sigma chip is known as state-of-the-art in media decoding/playback

Because of my hacker attitude, I went for the FIT-PC, while being not sure about Poulsbo's real world performance in HD playback. Including the Broadcom chip would fix this (btw. perhaps here you can implement a smarter solution than using it via mini-pcie?). Audio connectivity would still be an issue for many.

I still think that a special HTPC version of FIT-PC could find a market. If you throw out wifi (replace with Broadcom) and the hard drive in the first place, it seems you could reach the price tag of Dune HD Base, but *including* a BluRay drive.

srv1973

Post by srv1973 »

Hi Ypnos,

Just curious, but can you describe your software setup of that HTPC configuration?

Also, you complain about the audio configuration: I assume you refer to the lack of S/PDIF output, right? The configuration I propose does include that, so that should close the gap with the DuneHD that you compare against at least in that area.

Return to “Wish list”