NAS barebone/logic board for storage devices

Dual Ethernet, 5.1 Audio, Standard HDMI... post here everything fit-PC2 does not have and you wish it had. We listen.
amix

NAS barebone/logic board for storage devices

Post by amix »

I would like to ask you, what you would think about an embedded board, that is not meant for anything else, than driving a bunch of regular sized SATA hard-disks. Sure, I could get a NAS, but those don't do what I want (ie: working as backup-server having a blue-ray burner inside) and you have experience with getting low-energy/no-noise/low-heat.

Ideally such a board would come with a CPU, that is capable of RAID-5 in software mode (Linux), could also run OpenSolaris and has enough SATA ports for a generic RAID5 with 3 disks, an additional SATA or PATA port, that takes a small HDD with the OS, an additional SATA port for whatever the user wants and maybe another eSATA port. In any case it would have USB and Firewire. It would have Gbit LAN and a WiFi option.

6x SATA (or 5 with 1x PATA or CF slot)
Nx USB
1x Firewire
1x GB LAN
WiFi (optional)
Watchdog timer
RAID chip (not sure how useful these are, I read they don't do much)
simple sound (for audible warnings)
possibility to print to LCDisplay

Alongside a fit-pc2i this would be great. Either with case or without. I would build a NAS from it and a seperate backup-server.

The nice thing with a fit-pc2i solution is, that one could run the fit-pc2i as a master controller in the LAN while the big storage sub-system is offline. No need for that all the time.

irads

Re: NAS barebone/logic board for storage devices

Post by irads »

The feasibility of such a device depends on the availability of rich I/O low power platform. Menlow is currently the most energy efficient platform, but it lacks sufficient I/O to meet the requirements.

Return to “Wish list”