Cannot get audio to work

SWB

Cannot get audio to work

Post by SWB »

I have two Fit-PC2's, both Rev 1.4 (I think: Both are 1.6 GHz and have serial numbers in the 110xxx-xxx range).

On these, I am installing Windows Embedded Standard 7. (In the OS config, I have made sure to include every component related to audio, media, etc.)

When I install the audio driver, it appears to install successfully, but the audio does not work. Device manager shows a yellow exclamation point on the "Realtek High Definition Audio" device, and the Device Status says, "Windows cannot load the driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupt or missing. (Code 39)."

I have tried removing and reinstalling the win7_audio_100705 driver multiple times. I have tried the audio_patch.exe tool. I have also tried the latest driver from Realtek's website. I have verified that the audio is enabled (set to "Auto") in the BIOS. I can't think of anything else to try.

Since this is happening on two separate Fit-PC2's that are otherwise functioning normally, a hardware problem doesn't seem likely.

Any ideas?

Is there a low-level diagnostic utility (perhaps one that runs in DOS) that can verify that the audio chip is functioning properly?

Thanks!

SWB

Re: Cannot get audio to work

Post by SWB »

Some progress:

From http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums ... or-code-39, I learned that I needed to add the following packages to my Windows Embedded install:
  • Microsoft Streaming Driver(KS)
  • Microsoft Trusted Audio Drivers
  • Microsoft UAA Function Driver for High Definition Audio (HDAudio)
  • Microsoft UAA Function Driver for High Definition Audio Service (HDAudss)
So I did that … and it still didn't work (even after another driver uninstall/reinstall).

Then I saw http://blogs.msdn.com/b/matthew_van_eer ... river.aspx. So I switched to the Microsoft-provided generic class driver, and it half works.

I now have an enabled "High Definition Audio Device" in Device Manager. When I go to the Sound Control Panel, I now have a number of devices listed on the Playback and Recording tabs.

On the Playback tab, I have two devices listed: "Speakers" and "Digital Output." Digital Output is enabled and is selected as the default device. However, even though I have headphones plugged into the rear headphone jack, "Speakers" is disabled and reports "Not plugged in."

On the Recording tab, I have two microphones listed, and one "Line In." When I plug a microphone into the rear microphone jack, the second microphone entry is detected, and it works. The "Line In" device also works.

So the main thing I needed was for the microphone to work, and that is now working with the generic class driver. However, it would be nice to get the headphone jack working as well. This sounds like the issue that that the audio_patch.exe is supposed to address. I tried that with the generic class driver, and it didn't make a difference. I still can't get the Realtek driver to work.

Return to “Audio in Win7”