Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS fit-pc2i rev 1.1 iso for HD install

axcoco

Re: Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS fit-pc2i iso image available

Post by axcoco »

gavin wrote:axcoco,
Would you mind providing a bash script to take a vanilla 10.04 and bring it up to speed for a fitPC2?

I won't work with a batch file as the hard drive won't be detected at boot with the default vanilla on the iso. (Remember that this iso is intended for built-in HD installation, and this is the only thing that was changed on the custom iso)

fitalien

Re: Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS fit-pc2i iso for HD install

Post by fitalien »

axcoco,

I have the same question as vetetix, who wrote:
"You said that you've recompiled the "pata" module, but didn't say why it was necessary."

I need to upgrade to the latest kernel and have been banging my head against a wall for days on this one issue. Can you shed some light on exactly what needs to be changed in order for 10.04 server to boot off an internal SATA drive?

Thanks!

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Just a data point...I have a fit-PC2 (no "i") and I've installed Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS on it with no trouble...using the ISO downloaded from Ubuntu's site. Works fine for what I need.

I don't have a desktop, or audio hookups, so I can't say whether either of those works with my setup...I'm accessing using SSH over a hard-wired LAN. The video works well enough for text mode interaction, just no idea about graphics. Also haven't tested to see if the WiFi works or not...the Ethernet is working fine though. External USB drives work fine too...have a 2TB WD unit hooked up (with its own power supply). My internal HD is 500GB (WDC WD5000BEVT-0, vendor: Western Digital).

I'm guessing that the video, and probably the WiFi aren't working, but since I don't need those at the moment, that's ok with me. Everything I need is working with the standard Ubuntu 10.04 LTS iso version.

mdavids

Post by mdavids »

Axcoco,

First of all, thank you for your .iso, it seems to work well for me (even though my fit-pc2i suffers from a number of instabilities, of which i am not sure what causes them).

But please respond to some of the questions in this topic.

My question:
Why doesn't a regular Ubuntu 10.04 LTS install on the Hitachi 160 GB HD of a fit-pc2i? Someting with the 'pata module', you wrote. But what exactly?

Vetetix and Fitalien already asked:
"You said that you've recompiled the "pata" module, but didn't say why it was necessary."

and

"I need to upgrade to the latest kernel and have been banging my head against a wall for days on this one issue. Can you shed some light on exactly what needs to be changed in order for 10.04 server to boot off an internal SATA drive?."

Nothing to add to that... But i would really like an answer... :-(

I modified sources.list and added your repository, but kernel-updates don't show up there. I really would like to upgrade my kernel. Can I update kernels from the regular Ubuntu respository, once 10.04 is installed with your .iso?

Or can I compile new kernels myself? If so, which config should i use and what other issues should i consider?

Thank you so much for your reply.

--
Marco

vetetix

Post by vetetix »

I installed an Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Server edition on a FitPC2i rev 1.2 three months ago, from the standard Ubuntu ISO. I'm not using any specific apt repository.

Everything works fine, there is no instabilities whatsoever, and installation process through a USB thumb drive was as easy as it could be.

I don't know if wifi, 3D or Serial port work, since i don't need nor use them.

mdavids

Post by mdavids »

Hi,
vetetix wrote:I installed an Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Server edition on a FitPC2i rev 1.2 three months ago, from the standard Ubuntu ISO. I'm not using any specific apt repository.
Do you have the 160 GB Hitatchi HD? That device was not recognized when I tried the standard 10.04 LTS Server Ubuntu .iso (the 4GB NAND-drive was). If I understood correctly, this is the reason why axcoco created a custom .iso. Almost the same as the standard Ubuntu .iso, but -from what I understood- some small change in the pata_sch module which is required for the 160 GB HD.

Am I missing something here?

I am not sure which rev. I have, but I guess it is 1.2. I did perform the BIOS upgrade though. In any case it was part number fit-PC2i-D1G-C1600-H-W-XL
--
Marco

vetetix

Post by vetetix »

mdavids wrote:Do you have the 160 GB Hitatchi HD?
No, I have a Western Digital that I bought myself.

Denis

Post by Denis »

Hi all,
There are two revisions of fit-PC2i : 1.1 and 1.2. Problems with HD detection were in rev 1.1 only.

In rev 1.2 everything ok, you can install regular ubuntu from their website. No need in any special .iso

To find revision you have visit http://www.fit-pc2.com/wiki/index.php?t ... _Revisions
Compulab's Linux support

mdavids

Post by mdavids »

Thanks Denis, for your reply.
Denis wrote:Hi all,
There are two revisions of fit-PC2i : 1.1 and 1.2. Problems with HD detection were in rev 1.1 only.
:-(

It seems the reseller in the Netherlands sold me a rev 1.1, according to the serial nr. - even though I bought it end of June this year. That kinda sucks...

Unless someone enlightens me on the 'pata-module secret', or help me out with another trick i might be stuck with the 2.6.32-21-fitpc2i kernel...

axcoco

Re: Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS fit-pc2i rev 1.1 iso for HD install

Post by axcoco »

I needed to modify pata module because ubuntu only detects master hard drives (currrently SD is master and HD slave, and this is a hardware configuration we cannot change). The modification makes the kernel detects slave HD as well during boot time.

Return to “Ubuntu 10.04”