Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS fit-pc2i rev 1.1 iso for HD install

axcoco

Re: Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS fit-pc2i iso image available

Post by axcoco »

Merhaba wrote:Just so you know, axcoco:
your iso worked like a charm here, my fit-pc2i now runs under Lucid Lynx Server Edition flawlessly. Just a bit of a problem when trying to install grub - somehow the package wasn't loaded correctly and install into MBR failed. Going back to the installer menu and updating packages did the trick and the rest of the install went smoothly.
Thanks for your kind work!

Looks like it happens once every 10 times or so. This would need a bit of investigation, but the iso kinda works fine like this.

covales

Post by covales »

I tried to install this server version, but it failed to work. Did you really patch the kernel and inserted both the kernel and the header files because grub complained about missing modules.

Btw, I installed it the same way I earlier installed 9.10 where you need to add a new repro and that worked great.

Is this a "single firecracker" or do you intend to publish more for futher kernel releases (I expect at least a new release each month for the comming 6 months and server LTS covers 5 years)

Kees

axcoco

Post by axcoco »

covales wrote:I tried to install this server version, but it failed to work. Did you really patch the kernel and inserted both the kernel and the header files because grub complained about missing modules.

Btw, I installed it the same way I earlier installed 9.10 where you need to add a new repro and that worked great.

Is this a "single firecracker" or do you intend to publish more for futher kernel releases (I expect at least a new release each month for the comming 6 months and server LTS covers 5 years)

Kees

I have followed this tutorial to recompile lucid kernel and changed only the pata module:
http://blog.avirtualhome.com/2010/05/05 ... id-kernel/

Plus, I have extracted initrz from that custom kernel, so the iso boots with the modified pata module.
Finally, I made a repo and that is added when you install ubuntu.

I build the iso with UCK with the alternate method. (http://uck.sourceforge.net/)

I have not build the very last lucid release though.

My preseed file looks like this:
ubuntu-server.seed :

Code: Select all

d-i	grub-installer/bootdev  string (hd1,1)
d-i	debian-installer/allow_unauthenticated string true
d-i	apt-setup/local0/repository string deb http://fitpc2i.dexnode.com/download/ubuntu/dists/lucid binary/
d-i preseed/late_command string apt-install linux-image-2.6.32-21-fitpc2i; \
apt-install linux-image-2.6.32-21-fitpc2i; \
chroot /target /bin/bash /cdrom/preseed/fitpc2i.sh ;
fitpc2.sh :

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
chroot /target
apt-get purge -y linux-generic linux-image-generic linux-image-2.6.32-21-generic
update-grub

brebey

Post by brebey »

So ... I finally grabbed the the correct ISO, and the install went without a hitch!

However, on reboot, nothing happens [/i]- after POST, I just get a blinking cursor in character location 0,0. I did as you said, and said "No" to the "Install Grub in the MBR" question, but it seems to me like I should have said "Yes". Is that the problem? The PC just acts like it's got nothing to run, so it just "sits there".

Any thoughts?

axcoco

Post by axcoco »

did you install ubuntu on hard disk or flash ? hard drive location is (hd1,1)

brebey

Post by brebey »

I've re-installed correctly, and it boots (fast!) now, but I've got another problem.

After installation I dutifully performed "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get upgrade".

The "upgrade" hangs and locks up the Fit while upgrading "libc6". The keyboard doesn't respond at all (NumLock won't even toggle the LED), and even the power button doesn't work - it's just ignored with the Fit frozen.

The only way out is to hold the power button for 5 seconds and do a hard power-down.

Any ideas how I might correct this problem so that I can complete my upgrades?

Can you tell me what's different about the FitPC2 image from the stock Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Server installation? Can't I just install the stock one and make any required changes? (Provided, of course, that I can get a list of the changes!)

Thanks again for your efforts - I appreciate it, and welcome your help!

vetetix

Post by vetetix »

brebey wrote:Can you tell me what's different about the FitPC2 image from the stock Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Server installation? Can't I just install the stock one and make any required changes? (Provided, of course, that I can get a list of the changes!)
Having to wait for some volunteer to update a custom compiled kernel each time Ubuntu updates its kernel kind of sucks.

You said that you've recompiled the "pata" module, but didn't say why it was necessary. Doesn't the stock Lucid server iso install/work on a fit-pc, even with some (non update breaking) tweaking?

Since I want to use a fit-pc for headless server stuff only, without using wifi, i'd rather not be dependent on custom builds of kernels/isos from compulab or a volunteer, is that going to happen?

gavin

Post by gavin »

axcoco,

Would you mind providing a bash script to take a vanilla 10.04 and bring it up to speed for a fitPC2?

I (personnally) would prefer to use a direct-from-Canonical Ubuntu cd to do the initial install, instead of a user's UCK cd.

For instance, this thread spells out the exact bash commands to use on a fresh install and I much prefer to do a server install this way:
http://www.fit-pc2.com/forum/viewtopic. ... bdev#p3440

edit: hopefully I am not repeating what someone else is asking for, I haven't quite read all the replies in this thread!

ibir

Post by ibir »

axcoco wrote:...

But for deskop you should go with ubuntu 9.04
This is frustrating. When I follow the links on the Download page, I find under Ubuntu:
* Ubuntu resources
* See also Ubuntu on fit-PC2
At "Ubuntu resources" -> releases/, there is only a recovery image for 8.04.
At "Ubuntu on fit-PC2" there are several links, where "Installing Ubuntu 9.04" -> Download "Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop installation" leads to an iso file for 10.4!
Where can I find 9.04?

Denis

Post by Denis »

I think best choice for desktop is Ubuntu 9.10:
http://www.fit-pc2.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 50&start=0
Compulab's Linux support

Return to “Ubuntu 10.04”