Video problem after installing Red Hat 6.0

Mike

Video problem after installing Red Hat 6.0

Post by Mike »

Hello Forum,

This is my story:
I bought a diskless Fit-PC2 and added a 500 GB disk to it. Hocked up mouse, keybord and a DVD-reader via USB. Added a LCD monitor with the Fit-VGA converter ordered together with the CPU.
DVD disk installtion proceeded without any problems. After compleation I rebooted as instructed.
Initial screen informing of booting Red Hat in x seconds is visible but thereafter the screen goes black and never re-present any image. The monitor does not go into sleep mode so some signaling is there.
Tested various (all) posible bios combinations but without improvement, including reseting to default and Reseting Configuration Data.
Switched from VGA cable to HDMI to DVI but get no response from monitor (not even the initial).
I can still get bios and GRUB screens, but after initiating booting screen remains black.
I have also tried to re-install Red Hat, but also the installation is no more visible after selection of installation profile (Replace Existing Linux System, Repair, etc.).
Ctrl + Alt + F1 (- F12) has no visible impact.
I have tested Installed OS in "Windows" and "Other".

ANY proposals are most welcome!

/Mike

irads

Re: Video problem after installing Red Hat 6.0

Post by irads »

Fit-VGA passes through the DDC signals. Now the display driver on DVI sees a display identifying as VGA display. Some drivers do not like it. See if you can disable DDC in xorg.conf and set resolution manually.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Thanks

How is this best done? As my attempts to reinstall fails due to VGA is not presented past the point of selecting the type of installation to perform I assume GRUB is the only option (?).

Mike

Mike

Post by Mike »

Work around.

Find a monitor with HDMI interface. This enables Red Hat boot and root access. Still HDMI not always available and therefore still interesting how to fix VGA through GRUP or similar.

Mike

rambler

Post by rambler »

I too would be interested in the fix for this as I plan on upgrading to CentOS 6.0 when it becomes available (hopefully soon now).

Return to “Other Linux distributions”