RHEL/CentOS errors with ide controler

lazytt

Re: RHEL/CentOS errors with ide controler

Post by lazytt »

After trying three different versions of pata_sch.ko and a recompiled kernel, I can't help but to wonder if the problem here isn't hardware related.

Am I the only one trying to get an Enterprise Linux distro running on the fit-pc?

cls

Post by cls »

FWIW, the i586 build of Centos 4.8 from http://i586.centos.org/ installed on my fit-pc2 without a problem using the generic ide driver. Of course, that distribution is using a now ancient kernel (2.6.9) so none of the fit-pc2 devices were supported. I was seeing very poor throughput (~ 1.58 MB/s) to my SSD and the box would frequently lock up under "heavy" disk usage (a kernel compile!) with the kcommit: journal I/O errors.

Using the links from this thread and some other googling for the chipset, I was able to generate a patch to add Intel SCH support to the ata_piix driver and add a version of the pata_sch & i2c_sch drivers. Unfortunately, I couldn't quite figure out how to get the kernel/initrd to use either of those drivers. I ran out of time so I switched to Ubuntu 9.10. The much newer kernel supports the devices I care about (mainly, the drive controller) out of the box. Now, I have to re-learn how to use dpkg & friends. :-/

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

I have posted a job on oDesk:
http://www.odesk.com/jobs/CentOS-RedHat ... 01337faaac
Let's see if someone is willing to do this for money.

itamarjp

Post by itamarjp »

I have see your post in odesk, I am able to make the required drivers for centos.

I am a fedora/centos developer.

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/u ... s/itamarjp
------------

Itamar Reis Peixoto

e-mail/msn/google talk/sip: itamar@ispbrasil.com.br
+55 11 4063 5033
+55 34 3221 8599

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

Thanks for applying.
However, you requested an advance pre-payment, and I am not accepting those conditions. I am going to pay only when the work is done. What you do get in advance is a Fit-PC2 computer to work with (roughly equivalent to 250$).

Denis1

Post by Denis1 »

Hi all! Are there news about supporting current CentOS on Fit-pc2?

benjgil

Post by benjgil »

Can i also ask if there have been any developments in providing drivers for CentOS/Red hat compatibility on Fit PC2?

If so, please let me know what would be involved in getting a copy of the image for UK customers.

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

I am now negotiating with a developer who promised to make this work.
I intend to release the patch for the community free-of-cost, however, since my costs are estimated around 500$, I would appreciate a small donation from anyone who makes use of the patch.

boycie101

Post by boycie101 »

Hi yogev_ezra

Any progress on on the patch? I would be happy to make a donation if this gets resolved.

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

I have chosen a developer for this task, and sent him a Fit-PC2 unit to work on.

Return to “Other Linux distributions”