Ubuntu recovery image now available

Denis

Re: Ubuntu recovery image now available

Post by Denis »

jens wrote:In case I boot the recovery image from a usb stick and run the installer, will
this erase all data on my hard drive? Or will I be able to partition my disk
and perhaps also create a dual boot from this installer?

Best,
Jens
Recovery image contains the same linux as preinstalled on hard drive, you can use it as hard drive replacement if you want.

On the Desktop you can see script os_installation_fitpc2 that do next things:
- Creates partitions on hard drive with fdisk utility.
- Restore partition with partimage utility.
- Installs grub in mbr.

If you have some scripting skills you can edit this file to set desired partition sizes and save any space you want for dual boot.
Compulab's Linux support

Jethro

Post by Jethro »

So, i have a recovery image with the correct MD5 sum, I have a brand new working USB Flash Drive of 16GB and used both version 0.1 r15 and 0.2 r23 of the win32diskimager to write the image to the Flash Drive. In both cases the system immediately returns with the Grub Error 2 message... also when trying to boot on several other systems.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

jens

Post by jens »

I had the same trouble after using win32diskimager. The same image worked
a charm when I booted a linux machine and did a dd (see previous posts).
For some reason win32diskimager is not working with this image.

Jens

Jethro

Post by Jethro »

I tried using win32diskimages several times on different PC's and then tried dd for Windows, found here both without success.

Finally booted from an Ubunte Live CD and followed the procedure as described. After that it worked like a charm.

Don't try to write the recovery image from within a Windows environment!

Pascalb

Post by Pascalb »

blegas78 wrote:I too have a problem with the Makefile_32, exact same situation as you.

I also tried to install a Quickcam driver so I could use the fit-pc2 for vision processing, however the Makefile_32 is still a problem. I am not a linux expert, but is this a common problem or a problem with the image?
I faced exactly the same problem, trying to build the r8168 network driver. Checking the Linux configuration of another PC, I found a Makefile_32 file. But its contents is not trivial, by far. So, as I'm not a linux expert either :) I preferred not to copy it onto my fit PC2. I'm still googling, trying to understant what to do. Any clue, from a more knowledgeable person?

Pascalb

Post by Pascalb »

I faced exactly the same problem, trying to build the r8168 network driver.
That could be that I got it. I installed linux-headers-2.6.24-34-386, linux-headers-2.6.24-34, and linux-image-2.6.24-34-386, from fit PC2 PPA. Then, it was possible to build r8168.

I'm now checking possible side-effects (for instance, an APCI error message at boot-time...)

Pascalb

Post by Pascalb »

I'm now checking possible side-effects
Well, at least one important side-effect: mplayer/vaapi crashes. Investigating...

afelt

Post by afelt »

I have the same issue,
I am not able to compile the wifi driver with the fitpc2 linux headers. The make works fine with the generic headers, but then modprobe says the module is broken...

Any clue?

merbanan

Post by merbanan »

Something is broken with the recovery image. I tried for 2 days to get it working. Another issue that is even worse is that recovery image was to big for my 8gb usb stick. That's why some of you get this inode error thingy. Compiling the wireless driver from realtek doesn't work with this image either. In the end I used the Ubuntu 9.04 netbook remix image and installed it instead.

afelt

Post by afelt »

Does the WLAN work with this distro?

Return to “Ubuntu 8.04”