Vista 32 bit video support

Windows Vista, Windows 2000, XP Embedded, Windows CE, Windows Server etc.
anrque

Vista 32 bit video support

Post by anrque »

Greetings,
I've read through the forum and many people have loaded XP and Windows 7, but I do not see many references to Vista. The Fit-PC2 wiki does say that the unit is Vista compatible and I know other OEM are making netbooks with similar hardware configurations that support Vista as well.
My question is regarding video drivers for Vista (32 bit). I have tried the Intel supplied Vista drivers for GMA500. Version 7.14.10.1095 is the newest available according to the page at Wikipedia in Intel GMA. The driver installed OK, and after a restart I was greeted with a control panel that asked about mirroring video to external displays. On subsequent reboots, after the initial Windows Vista screen, the video losses sync and the monitor goes into power save. The unit is still "on", I just have no video.
Has anyone else experienced this, and how can I fix it?

irads

Re: Vista 32 bit video support

Post by irads »

The driver considers the fit-PC2 display as external. The internal is the LVDS which is not connected.

anrque

Post by anrque »

Irad,
My problem, is that after installing the driver, the LVDS video connection is dominant and I loose sync on the external display (primary display). How do I switch if I cannot see my desktop?
I have tried logging in through remote desktop, but my video settings are limited to my RDP session. Is there a hot key command that will force the unit to switch from the internal to external display?
Mike

irads

Post by irads »

We do not support Vista. I haven't tested it enough to give you any real support. Usually there is VGA mode boot that replicates display to both ports.

anrque

Post by anrque »

Okay, here was my solution. Remote desktop did not work for me as RDP sessions use their own display driver that is independent from the Intel driver. I installed RealVNC server on the Fit-PC2 and RealVNC client on another machine on my network. With the Fit-PC2 booted and only recognizing the internal monitor connection, I logged in a VNC session. In the Intel control panel, the only monitor device present is "MID" with driver 1076, so I upgraded to Vista driver 1095, which was the newest I could find. I received the initial dialog asking which display I wanted to use and I selected external only. With driver 1095 "Digital Display" was present in the Intel control panel and was now active. I was prompted to reboot, so I did.
Upon restarting, the external display was active for approximately 20 seconds before the monitor went to power-save mode. I relogged in using VNC, and the Intel control panel shows that it had reverted back to "MID" as the active display. I toggled this back to "Digital Display" and I got my DVI monitor back at 800x600 resolution.
I switched the resolution to 1024x768 and the display went into power save mode AGAIN. I logged in through VNC and the only device present in the control panel was "MID", so I rebooted. Upon restart, I logged in through VNC and opened the Intel control panel again, and toggled "Digital Display" and switched to 1024x768 and clicked apply. This time the external display became active and allowed the resolution change.
Why was this so difficult? And am I the only person experiencing this? I have a second Fit-PC2, maybe I'll try it and see if it has the same lackluster behavior.

anrque

Post by anrque »

I understand that you do not ship a Vista model so anything I get is gravy at this point. However,the Menlow platform this is based on was validated for Vista and has Vista drivers available.

Return to “Other Windows versions”