Router?

Is fit-PC2 good for my intended application?
lklk

Router?

Post by lklk »

I know that it is possible to use Ubuntu as a router both wired and wireless. Could the Fit-PC2 be used in such a manner. Possibly using a usb dsl modem too. Also what ABGN Wifi card would be best to use? I would like to replace my dsl modem and Wifi G router. I was hopping for 5.0 Ghz N router and possibly adding file server. I think this might work.

Nikolay

Re: Router?

Post by Nikolay »

Of course, it will work.
Nikolay
Moscow Fit-pc2 Distributor
fit-pc2.ru

fluffycloud

Post by fluffycloud »

Not all wifi cards can act as access points. I don't think they've released which wifi card they've decided on, the last time users asked it was still 'undecided' or 'in testing'.

Irads? Has a board been chosen yet? Can it act as an access point?

-Fluffy

irads

Post by irads »

Sorry, I would not like to discuss the WiFi details before we have WiFi units ready for sale.

fluffycloud

Post by fluffycloud »

It's okay Irads!

I wasn't trying to pressure you for info, I was just trying to make sure people didn't go ahead asuming things without information.

-Fluffy

Timon_and_Pumba

Post by Timon_and_Pumba »

A combined router/webserver is also my intended use for this appliance. I am glad that CompuLab now supplies an "auto-on" module, although it is not as integrated as I hoped it would be.

For this purpose I would like to provide access point functionality using the WIFI adapter. As from my point of view, Linux (in this case Ubuntu) is the only sensible solution for such an setup, I looked at what WIFI drivers have access point support.

A quick search resulted in that the hostap-utils package is used for this. The hostap tools work on drivers for Prism and Atheros based WIFI cards.
I hoped for better support, but maybe I have overlooked something.
Does anyone know what specific wireless hardware was used for Fit-Pc 1.0 ?

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

Please use http://www.fit-pc.com/forum/index.php for questions on Fit-PC 1.0 and Fit-PC Slim.

Return to “Using fit-PC2”