Problem installing windows xp/2003

mpatel

Problem installing windows xp/2003

Post by mpatel »

Hi I assume installing windows xp and server 2003 would follow the same procedure. Problem is Ive used may of the different sites that people have provided on this forum on how to put windows on a usb etc etc but they all seem to create an error. Some im about to get into the blue screen of installing and then it will say "this file is missing do you want to skip"....sometimes i can install it all the way but when its time to reboot it says " cannot read hard disk" or something like that. Has anyone experienced these problems and if so, can someone show me a surefire way of a bulletproof method that WILL work. I really dont want to go out and buy a cd/dvd enclosure.

Leonid

Re: Problem installing windows xp/2003

Post by Leonid »

Did you try the following site?
http://www.msfn.org/board/install-XP-US ... .html&st=6

WinXP installation from USB stick works fine.
Leonid Firdman

mpatel

Re: Problem installing windows xp/2003

Post by mpatel »

Yes that one one of the first websites I went to. I have total tried like 4-5 different ways of doing it with 2 different USB sticks and it still didnt work (some couldnt do part 2 of the txt mode if you guys know what Im talking about), tried the DOS method, the windows usb tool for windows 7, etc etc some either would say *.exe missing, or that when copying a file didnt copy and I checked everything over and over again.

My simple solution, take my external harddrive, turn it into an external dvd drive and just to a regular install from there and it worked.

Those of you that have a main tower pc with a DVD drive and an 3.5 external hard drive maybe able able to do this with one catch, you need to check what connection your 3.5 external hard drive uses. Open up your external hard drive (if it ones that you bought with a case already around it like a western digital passbook or w/e, be careful you dont want to ruin warranty and for that fact that alot of them shit with PATA or SATA connections now). Either way, open it up and check it, if its an ide (SATA has like a small slide in connector, IDE has PURE PINS, you can see by the fact is when u take your dvd drive out of your tower pc, it has two main connections at the back. One is a power connection slot, and the other is one with a bunch of pins, that bunchs of pins is IDE. Your external needs to have a piece that has the holes so that that pins can fit inside of it. So then take your DVD drive that you took out of your main computer, take out the ext hard drive and it will have the same pinconnectors and power connector as the ones in your tower pc that you discconect to just put the in again.

ONE IMPORTANT NOTE, ONCE CONNECTED, TURN ON UR FIT PC, GO INTO BIOS AND MAKE SURE U SET IT TO BOOT YOUR DVD DRIVE FIRST (IT SHOULD DETECT IS AS A USB DVD). IF YOU START UP UR FIT PC AND IT DOES NOT DETECT YOUR DVD DRIVE, DONT WORRY LOOK @ THE BACK OF YOUR DVD DRIVE AND LOOK AT AN AREA THAT HAS 6 PINS (2 ROWS, 3 COLUMNS). ON TOP OF THE ROWS OR ON A STICKER ON YOUR DVD DRIVE IT SHOWS SO SL MA (OR SO?) WHO CARES WE ONLY CARE ABOUT MA OR SL. THERE WILL BE A BLACK RUBBER PIECE ON OF THE COLUMNS AND IF ITS ON MA, MOVE IT SO ITS ON THE COLUMN THATS LABELLED AS SL. SOMETIEMS THE HEADING SO SL AND MA ARE LISTED ABOVE THE COLUMNS, AND SOMETIMES THE STICKER ON TOP THE DVD DRIVE SHOWS WHERE SO SL AND MA ARE AND WHAT ARRANGEMENT IT IS. SO IF IT DOES NOT WORK, SWTICH IT FROM MA TO SL. ONCE THIS IS DONE, IT SHOULD WORK FINE.

Return to “XP installation”