bios upgrade to 21/07/09 breaks booting

jpmg

bios upgrade to 21/07/09 breaks booting

Post by jpmg »

I followed the linux version of the instructions to create the usb key for flashing the bios, and appeared to install the 090721.ROM successfully (the confirmation message appeared at the expected time; the machine didn't respond to keystroke, so was power-cycled, as instructed by the flashing program).

However, since doing so, attempts to reboot have failed - I can get into the BIOS via F2, and confirm that the BIOS thinks it can see the hard disk (an ST9320320AS), but any attempt to boot results in "Operating System not found".

Furthermore, attempts to go back to booting off the usb key now also produce "Operating System not found", even after I've used the BIOS setup to make the usb flash drive be the first boot target.

I _have_ been able to PXE boot the machine; and as a result can confirm that when booted off a network image of a linux distribution in rescue mode, there is no problem accessing the hard disk _and_ the flash key.

I'm quite puzzled by this. I had initially assumed that there was some hideous mismatch (of the LBA/not-LBA kind) between the way the original BIOS had expected to talk to the hard disk and the way that the new BIOS did; but the failure to find an Operating System on the flash key suggests something more fundamentally wrong with the BIOS.

Any hints?

-patrick.

electron73

Re: bios upgrade to 21/07/09 breaks booting

Post by electron73 »

Yes, same here with currently latest bios available!
If you do a "reboot" from either linux or windows, you get OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND.
If you then manually turn off and back on with the power button, it boots just fine. I found this: You MUST remuve ALL devices (with "X" key) from the boot device list and ONLY leave the internal harddisk in the list, then it will boot. If there's anything connected to USB or a SD card inserted and the corresponding drive is in the boot list (even lower prio than the HDD) it will still not boot!

irads

Post by irads »

We are checking the boot order report.

Thanks,

Leonid

Post by Leonid »

We checked this issue and found no problem with BIOS from 21.07.09. We checked the system with some bootable device are connected simultaneously and it worked correctly during every boot scenario.
Leonid Firdman

madgrt

Post by madgrt »

Hmmm, I've just updated my BIOS and have the same issue 26th Aug 2009.
Before I found the thread, I found that it would boot back in to the system if I turned Hyper Threading off in bios.

I guess the key thing here was that I was able to reproduce the error by turning hyper threading back on in bios and I would get the error on boot once more.

Leonid

Post by Leonid »

madgrt wrote:Hmmm, I've just updated my BIOS and have the same issue 26th Aug 2009.
Before I found the thread, I found that it would boot back in to the system if I turned Hyper Threading off in bios.

I guess the key thing here was that I was able to reproduce the error by turning hyper threading back on in bios and I would get the error on boot once more.

What OS do you use?
Leonid Firdman

madgrt

Post by madgrt »

Leonid wrote:
madgrt wrote:Hmmm, I've just updated my BIOS and have the same issue 26th Aug 2009.

What OS do you use?
Ubuntu - Jaunty 9.04
But Karmic 9.10 (alpha 5) does it too.

madgrt

Post by madgrt »

@ Leonid
I did a quick install of Windows XP pro and it was fine with normal settings in bios, hyper threading enabled, etc.
I then did an install of Windows 7 to the second partition to dual boot.
On reboot I got the "no operation system" error. I went back into bios and disabled hyper threading again, which allowed me to boot and choose either XP or Win 7.

After a bit of mucking around the setting which seems to cause the issue (believe it or not) is the "display diagnostic screen" = enabled

"Summary screen" = enabled or disabled makes no difference.

With the "display diagnostic screen" = DISABLED set, you can enable hyper threading without issue.

Edit: same here: http://www.fit-pc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2211#p2211

Return to “fit-PC2 BIOS”