Overscan in LCD TV

spark240

Overscan in LCD TV

Post by spark240 »

Irads, is this likely to help the problem I have with the screen size not fitting on my 42" TV ?

irads

Re: Display driver - GMA500

Post by irads »

Absolutely.

benjgil

Post by benjgil »

Btw, i had a similar problem with sizing on a large (also 42") display, with some of the 'window' being cut off round the sides.

What solved it for me though was simply going to the TV's own menu and selecting the option to 'scan input' - ie for the TV itself to make sure the input is fit properly to the screen.

So you may find that the issue is TV related rather than Fit-PC2 related and the fix won't come from new Fit-PC drivers but from adjusting a setting on the TV/screen itself.

Hope that helps!

spark240

Post by spark240 »

Hi, I dont think my TV has a scan setting? its a panasonic Vierra an older model.

benjgil

Post by benjgil »

It may not be called 'scan', but there should be an option on the TV for it to calibrate itself to the input, though i wouldnt know what it might be called... :?

swelch@complex.org

Post by swelch@complex.org »

I'm not familiar with this particular problem, but is sounds like the problem you are running into is called "Overscan". Old analog and new digital TV's expand the picture a bit (usually five to seven percent) so the formerly (in the analog and VHS tape days) ugly edges of the image are trimmed off. Some new TV's that have the option of hooking up to computers have a function whereby they turn off this overscan so you can see the full picture area--important for computer monitors, as you have seen!

So, search around on your TV menus for an item like "Overscan=off". Some HDTV's automatically turn off overscan when you hook up to the VGA port, and some of them label the overscan off option mysteriously as "computer" format or option, as opposed to "TV".

Unfortunately, Some HDTV's just don't have the capability of turning off overscan, like my very expensive old Sony CRT HDTV, the KD-34XBR960. When I use it as a computer monitor, I have to just stay away from the edges of the screen--annoying.

Note also that better or different video drivers on the computer often don't help with this problem, unless they specifically allow you to add a blank overscan border around your computer monitor output before sending the signal out to the HDMI or DVI port.

Good Luck!
St

spark240

Re: Overscan in LCD TV

Post by spark240 »

Irads,
I have downloaded this driver update, but when I try & install I get a message saying that the current version is newer than this one? I the XP fit pc2 model.

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

You should uninstall the IEGD drivers first by running the IEGD setup and selecting uninstall. Then install the GMA500 drivers.

irads

Post by irads »

IEGD and GMA500 are separate drivers with separate versioning.
As suggested, uninstall the IEGD first.

spark240

Post by spark240 »

Its a miracle ! I have installed the alternative graphics drivers and it now fits on my 42" TV screen, just got to get the wifi sorted, can I just stick a usb wifi adaptor in ?

Return to “Display driver”