Latest Intel gma500 driver for Windows

vtailor

Latest Intel gma500 driver for Windows

Post by vtailor »

The basic idea is to ignore Windows 8 warnings about installing in Vista compatibility mode, and install in Windows 7 compatibility mode, using 1024x768 as the initial resolution. Then, restart the system, and adjust for "full" monitor resolution, whatever it is on your system. My experience with the z530 indicates that this is not only stable, but desirable.

As for the Windows XP (SP3 only) gma500 driver, it only installs in a Windows XP SP3 environment, and the above considerations apply about using a basic safe resolution, then restarting.

This may involve more than two restarts, but is stable after that.

I am writing this from RIPLinuX running on a partition of the z530 using the built-in sound chip, same as Windows 8. The reason for using the built-in sound chip is that the Windows XP DirextX diagnostic tool recommends the sound chip setup over the USB sound dongle setup for speed reasons. Remembering that the Windows XP setup for the Realtek sound driver calls the rear analog or analog/spdif connector "stereo headphones", whereas later versions of Windows make the rear surround speakers with front speakers disabled the prime suspects.

vtailor

Re: Latest Intel gma500 driver for Windows

Post by vtailor »

I am writing this from the z510 using the Compulab display driver, not the Intel web site display driver. The reason is that, if you install the Windows XP driver from Compulab, after coddling it so it stays installed at 1024x768, I found a mode that does almost full screen with maybe 2 cm. margins and without the bad font problem associated with 1920x1024. In other words, the Compulab XP driver has a near optimal resolution that is very close to full screen with round circles on my monitor.

And, of course, the Compulab Windows XP sound driver that uses giant headphones on top of the monitor. And, which needs some playing with to get the volume control to work.

I also found a way to display amazon.com streaming videos under Windows XP with the z510 at full screen with full lip synchronization. It involves some sequence of steps I have to re-invent when I do it at the moment, and it may be some kind of an amazon.com demonstration of what can happen under any Windows running on a fit-pc2i with the z510.

But, I am talking close to full screen, round circles, lip synchronization, no folding of images in sequence, no excuses, whatever.

Return to “Display driver”