Fit-PC2 running XP without a monitor attached

wysiwyg

Re: Fit-PC2 running XP without a monitor attached

Post by wysiwyg »

Irads,

I have received my two FIT-PC's and they are working fine.
With an exception of this same problem.
My intention was to remote control these two pc's via a peer to peer connection using RealVNC as Windows remote desktop is useless and slow.
As I do not have monitors connected to these FIT pc's it defaults to 640x480 resolution and 4bit colour.
Is there a fix for this as the solution in previous posts does not work?

Cheers
Mark

NVass

Post by NVass »

Mark,

I have managed to get Windows remote running on one Fit using Windows Professional but my second Fit uses windows home editions so Windows remote won’t work on that.

I have still not found a satisfactory solution to this problem. Teamview are looking at the problem. However I suspect it’s to do with the GMA500 drivers and nothing is going to solve this problem satisfactorily until the install switches work and you can set the resolution to something other 640*480*4 bit.

I have now come across several people with this issue and I hope that a collective voice will add some weigh to the problem, otherwise it’s going to rule the fit PC2 out as a server for many people.

Neil

wysiwyg

Post by wysiwyg »

NVass,

I think I have found a solution, not ideal but in the interim a solution.
The idea is to trick the fit to think there is a screen connected.
Found these sites who have dealt with the issue of fitting a dummy VGA plug by adding some resistors.

See links below:
http://soerennielsen.dk/mod/VGAdummy/index_en.php
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100600525

You would need a HDMI to DVI adapter and a DVI to VGA adapter, or if possible a HDMI to VGA.

Might give this a go in the next few days and I will let you guys know if it works.

I have discovered that when booted without a monitor it uses 640x480 resolution, but when I plug in the monitor briefly and then unplug it, it allows me to choose higher res. So this proves that if you fool the fit into thinking there is a sreen present you should be OK.

Mark

benjgil

Post by benjgil »

Another possible solution, along the lines of the previous post, is to get a USB-to-VGA converter (there are a few around, and if you wait a month or so we'll be making them available from Fit-PC UK).

It will need to be configured by connecting another display, but once the original setup is done, theoretically all you would need to do is keep the converter plugged in to the USB connection and it will maintain your current display settings.

I'm not sure where you can get them retail online at the moment (we've gone straight to the manufacturer in Asia) but if you dont find one within the next few weeks they'll be priced at around £30 from our fit-pc.co.uk site.

Hope that helps.

Benjamin

wysiwyg

Post by wysiwyg »

Well Guys,

I tried the dummy VGA workaround but it did not work. :(
Not sure why, I used the right resistors and triple checked the connections and still no go. It may have something to do with the HDMI to DVI adapter.

Benjamin,
I'm confused on how a USB to VGA converter would work in this case?
So i guessing that this device will fool the FIT-PC into thinking it has a screen connected.
Can you elaborate.

I'd be interested if it works, please let me know if you are able to remote control the FIT without a monitor plugged in.

Cheers
Mark

benjgil

Post by benjgil »

Hi wysiwyg,

Yep, while the USB graphics converter is plugged in, the PC thinks that there is a display attached (whether the other end of the converter is plugged in or not) and the software that runs for the converter takes hold of the video output settings.

I havent tried it yet through a netwok, but i have had the FIT's video output come solely through the USB-converter (ie without another display connected), and even unplugged the display from the converter and switched the PC off - when i turn it on again the Converter's settings have been saved, and re-plugging in the display to the output of the converter gives the same resolution as when it was unplugged, so the PC simply recognises that there is a display attached and sets itself to the required settings.

We dont currently have the hardware setup to control fit-pc through a network, but as above it would seem that this would work the same as having any other display attached to the DVI port to maintain the display-output settings.

FYI, we're going to go be stocking the Converters in London, UK within the next 2-3 weeks, RRP will be £35 (not £30 as previously stated).

Let me konw if that's of use.

Benjamin

irads

Post by irads »

Check alternative display driver. See http://fit-pc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=601

RISC

Post by RISC »

This page may help you further. I have the same problem runnig Fit-PC2 without a monitor but so far none of the proposals is functionning. I am now looking for a Monitor simulation Hardware. Check tis Page: http://www.spatz-tech.de/tutorial.htm

cre8toruk

Post by cre8toruk »

Hi, did anyone get a resolution to this problem ?
Our fit-pc is going inside a lighting control panel and we need to be able to connect to it via teamviewer across the internet.

Return to “Display driver”