Video acceleration in Linux

Players, codecs, and video acceleration
andybee

Video acceleration in Linux

Post by andybee »

I've read that the fit-pc2 is capable of handling full 1080p video playback however I haven't seen any mention of whether this is available under both Linux and Windows. There have been other mentions within the forum about the limited nature of the Linux video drivers and so I'm wondering if the Linux version of fit-pc2 will be able to play high definition video.

Can anyone confirm or deny if the system is able to handle seamless 1080p video in Linux?

irads

Re: Video acceleration in Linux

Post by irads »

Currently Linux plays 1080p better than Windows using FFMPEG and vaapi.

fluffycloud

Post by fluffycloud »

The limited nature of the linux drivers has to do with what version of linux you're running. The Ubuntu 8.04 that this will release with will have very good linux drivers with full support for the hardware...

(according to various urls that I've found and posted elsewhere on these forums and am too lazy to repost for you)

-Fluffy

godrik

Post by godrik »

The linux open source driver leads to crappy performances but it seems that the intel driver is good.

shnuk

Post by shnuk »

irads wrote:Currently Linux plays 1080p better than Windows using FFMPEG and vaapi.
What linux version should I install to run full HD 1080p?
How should I install Video acceleration driver?

Thanks

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

You can find desirable info at http://www.fit-pc2.com/wiki/index.php/Linux_on_fit-PC2. There is also a list of supported linux OS versions by Compulab. However you can try to experiment with any os you desire to find what suits you best
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

vtailor

Post by vtailor »

I've been using the Broadcom BCM70012 video accelerator for making flash stream better on my z510, using the the crystalhd (70012) for hardware acceleration and the /dev/dri generated by the gma500_gfx.ko kernel module. Strange to tell, under RIPLinuX, which has no mesa system, the google chrome pepperflash library works pretty well with no crystalhd crashes, while the latest Linux flash works well in slackware14, same card, with the mesa library.

The z510 was obviously designed to power wireless telephones like the nokia, because it gives flawless flash on a smartphone size screen.

The reason for the 0012 and not the 0015 is that the driver code from Broadcom can no longer be compiled for recent kernels, while, as long as they keep doing it, there is a debugged crystalhd.ko in the staging directory that works for the 0012. So, you get the code from Broadcom, and you compile and install everything except the driver. Also, you work up an /etc/adobe/mms.cfg that tells google chrome to use the crystalhd card.

vtailor

Post by vtailor »

There is a version of flash 10.2 that accommodates the Broadcom decoder under Linux, but I have not found it. I found flash_plugin-10.1.82.76-i386 at the absolute linux web sites. It is accelerated for certain brands of video cards, but not Broadcom.

However, as these matters go, it did provide information: Under "stats for nerds", it states that I am getting direct hardware rendering and nul hardware decoding in slackware. The latest flash for Linux still gives the best all around performance in both slackware and rip.

There is some indication when the 10.1.82.76 version is running that the cpu meter is showing 97%, rather than 99%, cpu load, which may result from finding and using the direct rendering of the gma500_gfx.ko module.

So, if anyone still has the 10.2 flash plugin that gives warning messages but has a back door for the decoder card, please email it to me. And thanks.

vtailor

Post by vtailor »

Sorry to post at this hour. Did you know that the fit-pc2 z510 bios can be set up to provide a two-thread z510? I am running on an extremely cantankerous and hard to adjust Habey z510 with 2 G of RAM, BUT I got it to do CPU0 and CPU1 under Linux. And, the results on streaming flash video without the crystalhd are simply amazing. Full screen with some frames dropped, but excellent visuals.

Too bad the fit-pc2 bios doesn't do this. You would really see something then.

vtailor

Post by vtailor »

I think the problem with the Phoenix bios is that it never worked for the z510 in the first place. The evidence for this is that there are no hyperthreads for the z510, even when hyperthreads are enabled. And, as I have posted elsewhere, if you found a way to set up z510 hyperthreads on the fit-pc2, you would see the Peacekeeper Benchmark go up immediately from 370 to 420, simply using the basic setup provided by Linux systems like Mint Maya or Slackware 14 with fbdev installed.

I got tired of making the fickle Habey z510 work on a regular basis, so I stashed it away to make occasional demonstrations about how people got fooled by a no-hyperthreads at all z510.

Return to “Multimedia in Linux”