Video acceleration in Linux

Players, codecs, and video acceleration
vtailor

Re: Video acceleration in Linux

Post by vtailor »

I made one last attempt to install Mint Mayo again on my fit-pc2 z510. Something caught my eye as Mint was starting up (minus the --quiet option). There was a thing on the screen about some Mint Linux threads daemon that was adjusting the cpu threads dynamically. So, I ran a series of Peacekeeper Benchmark tests. The first test was in basic Mint with the basic Mint 1024x768 resolution, and Ubuntu Chromium gave a score of 401. The second test, after I edited the uneditable, was at 1366x768 resolution, and Ubuntu Chromium gave a score of 399.

Notice that the basic no threads score is 370, and the score from that nameless z510 machine with the AMI bios is 420. So, there is some hope for the Compulab z510 running with the psb-gfx kernel module and the fbdev graphics driver, which is the basic Mint configuration. I am gradually increasing the complexity of this installation and will let you know if I see any further improvements.

I tried to get more information about that Mint daemon, but the dmesg command was not helpful. Maybe you guys know more about this, or maybe your friends at Mint Headquarters are aware of how valuable that threads adjuster is.

Note that Slackware is a 370 system, maybe slightly less.

Dominik

Re: Video acceleration in Linux

Post by Dominik »

I gave up to get video accelerating to work. I have to use debian linux. I tried out the intel emgd-driver a couple of time ago. It was horrible (slow scrolling and it crashs frequently) :(

Return to “Multimedia in Linux”