One of the final words on fitness and all that

Players, codecs, and video acceleration
vtailor

One of the final words on fitness and all that

Post by vtailor »

I found it on an internet forum: The remedy to all or most of those streaming video problems in Linux. Install Slackware 13.7, use pkgtool to remove all the kernels, install the Zenwalk 7.2 kernel (until they decide to ruin it), and bring in all the other apps you like. Not only does that fix things like amazon.com personal video streaming, but it adds support for preventing video breakup. Oh, and, by all means, use the "magic resolution" for the monitor that Windows 8 prevents doing.

In other words, pull out all the stops. Naturally, the z530 works better. It came with a better chipset than the z510 bargain chipset. But, it's the z510 that I am getting to do all the things that Windows 8 and "advanced" distributions like Ubuntu and Zenwalk prevented it from doing.

BTW, one of the Zenwalk 7.2 kernel flaws is that it has no support for starting up with a /dev/sdb which is an old-fashioned pendrive.

vtailor

Re: One of the final words on fitness and all that

Post by vtailor »

Let's see, what was it I forgot to mention? All the things that work so badly on Windows 8 and even Windows 7 work pretty well on both RIPLinuX and Slackware 13.7 in which you used package tool pkgtool to delete the vesa graphics driver and you compiled and installed fbdev_drv.so to load instead.

Enclosed a screen capture of google-chrome running amazon video with lipsync and no audio dongle, only the built-in cheapo sound chip, on the z510 in RIPLinuX with the Slackware 13.37 enhancements. I know your local slackware guru has been trying to replicate my results.
Attachments
screencap.png
screencap.png (208.77 KiB) Viewed 6429 times

Return to “Multimedia in Linux”