Fit-PC2 1,1GHz as AV media server?

fit-PC2 as a file server, web server, mail server etc.
Glasbakkie

Re: Fit-PC2 1,1GHz as AV media server?

Post by Glasbakkie »

I'm looking for a solution for the following.

Running squeezecenter in a network environment (so XP or Linux, with mapping possibilities), with > 15.000 songs in the database.

FITPC to be controlled as a remote from a PC out of the same network.

Anyone any experience with the above??

RonM

Post by RonM »

I think that is basically what I'm doing, except with the 1.6. See my post on the topic. The fit is on the network, I access it through my main PC, although sometimes do hook up the necessary interfaces (keyboard, mouse, monitor) and work directly on the fit, but rarely. Regular updates to the database done through Second Copy "backing up" new rips or other files from the main pc (every night). I'm up to about 13k tracks comfortably on a 500 gb drive. No performance problems whatsoever, altough it would be nice if the fit rebooted on power return after power outage, but that's minor.

R.

XSNomad

Post by XSNomad »

Timon_and_Pumba wrote:I have the 1.6 GHz version, but I may shed some light on your scenario.

Processor speed becomes a bottleneck if you have to perform a lot of logic/complex operations on data. I cannot really say for your case whether your AV functionality requires a lot of cpu effort, or whether it is just serving files. I tend to think the latter one.

In that case, the harddisk and I/O will definitely be the bottleneck. Performance is not bad, considering it is a 2.5" 5400 RPM disk:

Code: Select all

$ sudo hdparm -tT /dev/sda1

/dev/sda1:
 Timing cached reads:   1120 MB in  2.00 seconds = 559.73 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  182 MB in  3.01 seconds =  60.40 MB/sec
Compare that to my workstation, with relatively new disk in RAID 0:

$ sudo hdparm -tT /dev/mapper/isw_bjgiaehihi_Outback1 

/dev/mapper/isw_bjgiaehihi_Outback1:
 Timing cached reads:   7592 MB in  2.00 seconds = 3798.63 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  498 MB in  3.01 seconds = 165.55 MB/sec
Concluding, FitPC2 is good for serving a small number of users simultaneously [Google uses a different setup ;) ]. It is up to you to estimate the usage profile, and wether you need scaling possibilities if usage goes up (like you cannot upgrade the memory of FitPC2).
Pfft I have some old IDE drives that I use for streaming Music an HDVideo over wireless or 100mb wired and my drives are only hitting

/dev/hdb:
 Timing cached reads:   448 MB in  2.00 seconds = 224.06 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  232 MB in  3.01 seconds =  77.11 MB/sec

/dev/hda:
 Timing cached reads:   464 MB in  2.00 seconds = 231.50 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  140 MB in  3.03 seconds =  46.15 MB/sec

Return to “Server”