Fit-pc2 ssd now needs a monitor to work

Power discussions, CPU and case temperature
Chmaanta

Fit-pc2 ssd now needs a monitor to work

Post by Chmaanta »

I recently bought the Fit-PC2 SSD and installed Windows XP on it. Everything was working pretty well. While using the PC on batteries there was an over-voltage spike that I later measured at 16 V. Fortunately, the PC still (mostly) works, but now it won't turn on unless a monitor is plugged into it. If I'm running a program and unplug the monitor the whole PC shuts off. It won't turn on again until I plug the monitor back in. It used to run fine without a monitor plugged in.

It seems like the over-voltage toasted something, but somehow the monitor is closing a circuit that allows the PC to run anyways. Note that the monitor doesn't have to be turned on! As long as the cable is connected to the monitor the PC runs.

I bought the PC for a remote vehicle application so I don't really want to have a monitor on board.

Does anybody have any ideas? I looked at finding a shorting plug to make the PC think it was plugged into a monitor, but I can't find one.

UPDATE: The problem was RadioShack sold me a barrel jack extender with reversed polarity. I ended up blowing out what looks to be a capacitor or resistor on the ground pin. The reason it works when a monitor is plugged in is because it provides a ground path. I don't really have any ideas on how to fix it...

Return to “Power and Heat”