too hot?

Power discussions, CPU and case temperature
KonataFB

too hot?

Post by KonataFB »

hi, are atom processors ment to get this hot, even without me adding extra fans this seems a little to hot. (will adding a small fan case fan on top help)

http://tinypic.com/r/9umbzd/6

pic above is a screen shot.

not sure which temp to go by but seeing a 60 made me wonder. the case feels quite hot but that might be usual.

the CPU holds a 42 degrees temp while i got air-con on but i don't leave that on 24/7.

EDIT

I decided to run a test and put it on its side on top 1 of the fans of a USB net book cooler (1 that sits undeeth them.)

from what i can tell witht eh cooler,
Idle/ downloading seemed the same (45-49 degrees celcious)
And under load it goes mostly between 52-56 (or occasionally up to 59 for 2 sec before dropping)

are these more normal temps? also would somehow attaching cpu heat-sinks to the case work properly (or something similar) for extra cooling at no extra power.

PieterPan

Re: too hot?

Post by PieterPan »

I also thought temps got a little high, so I simply attached two heatsinks without fan I had lying around. While it was probably fine with the higher temps, I prefer not to stress it more than necessary, especially the harddrive. It is tucked away in a corner anyway, so no-one sees it :)

I now get the following for a 7200 rpm notebook drive, with the fit-pc2 on its side and with heatsinks.
Thermal Sensor 0 is 50 C
Thermal Sensor 1 is 51 C
Harddrive temperature is /dev/sda: ST9320423AS: 37°C

edit: added picture.
Attachments
dsc03173.resized.jpg
dsc03173.resized.jpg (114.55 KiB) Viewed 25992 times
Last edited by PieterPan on Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

irads

Post by irads »

60C for CPU is perfectly normal. The Atom Z530 is still working at 115C.

KonataFB

Post by KonataFB »

thanks for the reply's, especially PieterPan for the screen-shot..

did u just use the glue you usually use to stick on processor heat-sinks?

i was considering attaching some myself but wondering what eh heat transfer will be like.

its currently sitting on a 2 fan usb notebook cooler (on top of 1 fan) if i attach heat-sinks,
I might disassemble the cooler and attach its fans under the heat-sinks (or over)

EDIT
Actually is that glued or zippy tied (no both)

PieterPan

Post by PieterPan »

It is ziptied to the case, with crappy thermal stuff (not glue) in between, to improve the thermal transfer.

KonataFB

Post by KonataFB »

thanks for all the help.

i used your idea and incorporated a low powered fan into it for good measure,

the case is now not hot enough to be called warm as the heat sink looses heat faster then the system can dish it out.

vetetix

Post by vetetix »

What power source do you use to power up the fan you use on the heatsink ?

Return to “Power and Heat”