Will FitPC2 Power Supply Support 500 GB Hard Drive

Hard disks, SSD, SATA interface, external HDD
sabrehagen

Will FitPC2 Power Supply Support 500 GB Hard Drive

Post by sabrehagen »

Hi,

I am going to recieve my new FitPC2 tomorrow after the last one sadly burnt out.

I hope to install a SATA HDD and am going to buy a
Hitachi 5K500.

Could you please take a look at the data sheet (in the next hyperlink) and tell me if the power supply of the FitPC2 be able to run this drive without burning out? (http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib. ... asheet.pdf)

Best regards

Rick

Click_It

Re: Will FitPC2 Power Supply Support 500 GB Hard Drive

Post by Click_It »

I hope you haven't purchased that HDD yet, its 12.5mm high meaning it WON'T physically fit in a Fit-PC2. I suggest a 500GB WD Scorpio Blue (fastest in its class) and will run cooler than the Hitachi too.

In short though, yes any 500GB will work provided it physically fits. You'll find the newer drives generally use LESS power than older ones. A big factor is whether it uses 2 platters or 3. That Hitachi model uses 3 thus being too large to fit, exactly the same as the WD 750 & 1TB drives.

Just don't get a 7200rpm drive and you'll be right.

sabrehagen

Post by sabrehagen »

I've checked the measurements and it will fit. It's just that my last FitPC2 burnt out after about 4 mins with only a few USB devices connected, so I was hoping that a HDD wouldn't put too much load on it.

Thank you for your assistance, but even still, if I can get the all clear from Irads it should give me some sort of 'extended warranty' to cover a third party drive.

irads

Post by irads »

A USB load does not "burn out" fit-PC2 - USB ports have overcurrent protection. We are yet to determine why the said unit failed. As soon as it arrives at our lab we will test it. Likely reasons are short-circuit or a failing capacitor.

The specified HDD requires power feeding from 2 USB ports - as many external HDD USB cables provide.

sabrehagen

Post by sabrehagen »

This drive is to be used as an internal HDD. Will the onboard power supply support it?

Click_It

Post by Click_It »

sabrehagen wrote:I've checked the measurements and it will fit.
Are you sure about that? I quote irads from another thread asking if the 750GB & 1TB 2.5" (12.5mm) drives will fit, his reply was:

"No. Clearance in fit-PC2 HDD bay is 9.6mm"

As for your other question, 500GB hdd will run fine, no 2.5" hdd is going to push the power supply over it's limits.

sabrehagen

Post by sabrehagen »

After recieving the drive and my FitPC2 today I can verify that the drive fits, and that the power supply will support the drive without burning out.

Flying-Dutchman

Post by Flying-Dutchman »

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the Toshiba Travelstar 5K500.B 500GB (MK5055GSX) is:

-The most power efficient 2,5" SATA 500GB hdd on the market: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mob ... 05-14.html
-Is 9,5mm high
http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=S ... 55GSXSpecs

irads

Post by irads »

This HDD should work fine with fit-PC2.

Return to “Storage”