SSD best choice or is compulab going to offer one?

Hard disks, SSD, SATA interface, external HDD
ebrinton

SSD best choice or is compulab going to offer one?

Post by ebrinton »

Is there any plan for Compulab to offer the FIT-2PCi pre-configured with an SSD? We plan to use these with Windows-7.
I have not used SSDs before are there any known compatibility issues I should be aware of? Storage capacity needs are 64 or 128 MB.

Any suggestions for the best source for OS OEM versions. New-egg or the like or does compulab package this into there systems somehow (without HDD).

Thanks...EB

fly

Re: SSD best choice or is compulab going to offer one?

Post by fly »

I don't have tested real SSDs right now. Intel's X25-M G2 drives are said to be quite good. However, drives using the Indilinx Barefoot Controller are said to be on pair with Intel performance wise but cost only half. [1] is a good start to get an overview -- although the review is a bit dated.
are there any known compatibility issues I should be aware of?
I think fitPC2 and fitPC2i do not provide native SATA-Port, but an IDE/PATA-Port with a SATA-Bridgechip. This might cause trouble or at least performance issues. Issues of SSDs in general are - as I said - addressed in the review [1].
Storage capacity needs are 64 or 128 MB.
Did you mean MB or GB? If you really just need some megs, just buy a small USB-Stick or CF-Card and use copy2ram to populate a ramdisk.

[1] http://www.anandtech.com/show/2738

irads

Post by irads »

The major drawback of SSD is price per byte. CompuLab will offer soon 8GB SanDisk SSD as a storage option with fit-PC2/i.

ebrinton

Post by ebrinton »

Oops, I did mean 64 or 128 GB (not MB). Sorry, I make this error ocasionally.

Will Windows-7 OS work run withthe 8GB SSD or will this be intended for a different OS? If yes to Windows-7 how much storage space will be left for application/data storage?

fly

Post by fly »

Will Windows-7 OS work run withthe 8GB SSD or will this be intended for a different OS? If yes to Windows-7 how much storage space will be left for application/data storage?
I doubt it. Microsoft's system requirements for Windows 7 are:
  • 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor.
  • 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit).
  • 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit).
  • DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver.
I'd try the 80GB Intel Postville G2, but as I said, I haven't tested real SSDs for myself. I rely on compact flash cards.

morgad

Post by morgad »

irads wrote:The major drawback of SSD is price per byte. CompuLab will offer soon 8GB SanDisk SSD as a storage option with fit-PC2/i.
If Compulab were to offer an 64 or 128 Gb SSD with a linux Image pre-installed that I could use to replace the HD in my Fit-PC2 as some sort of 'premium' accessory I would consider buying it

Dave

Return to “Storage”