Poulsbo Drivers for GMA500 intel chip on Jaunty (9.04)

prj

Re: Poulsbo Drivers for GMA500 intel chip on Jaunty (9.04)

Post by prj »

Yes, when HT was enabled I got occasional hangs of X. Maybe you can play around with it and see if it really is stable with HT disabled. I know this is a really bad solution but it's the only one at the moment.

tisoft_media

Post by tisoft_media »

I have installed the latest drivers from the ubuntu mobile ppa for jaunty and, they give wrking 3D :)

glxgears up to 380 fps

You just have add the HorizSync and VertRefresh stuff in your xorg.conf.

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mobile/+archive/ppa

prj

Post by prj »

Cool! This totally made my day :)

I just tried it out and it does give 3D support. But in my opinion 2D is still too slow. The WinXP driver does a much better job. I think there is an ACPI issue with the FIT-PC2 that screws up for the psb driver. HT still needs to be disabled and when running an OpenGL application I get:

do_wait: drmWaitVBlank returned -1, IRQs don't seem to be working correctly.
Try adjusting the vblank_mode configuration parameter.

The reboot problem is also ACPI related and so could the temperature reading be. There are a couple of ACPI fixes in later kernels that might fix it. I did a really quick test of 8.04 when my unit arrived (and then overwrote it with 9.04) and did only see 1 CPU with no sibblings (correct me if I'm wrong), hence there is no HT at all in 8.04. That explains why the 8.04 driver is stable even when HT is enabled in the BIOS.

Let's keep digging...

blegas78

Post by blegas78 »

tisoft_media wrote:I have installed the latest drivers from the ubuntu mobile ppa for jaunty and, they give wrking 3D :)

glxgears up to 380 fps

You just have add the HorizSync and VertRefresh stuff in your xorg.conf.

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mobile/+archive/ppa
I tried installing the driver on top of prj's driver, and I can install the modules correctly, but I cannot install the meta. When I try to install the 2D driver, I get this error:

Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: xserver-xorg-video-psb

Any Idea of what I can do?

prj

Post by prj »

Remove all of my packages and add the whole ubuntu mobile repository instead. Then try to install the meta package.

blegas78

Post by blegas78 »

Thanks again, prj, that took care of it. Also, have you re-enabled C-states with this driver?

prj

Post by prj »

No problems. The C-States issue aren't related to the PSB driver so they are still present. The ACPI seems to be somewhat broken so that might be the issue. It could also be a kernel bug. I've tried 9.10 on my box and it is doing a better job in reading the ACPI tables, but there are still random hangs.

Cheers

Return to “Ubuntu 9.04”