What is auto-on

irads

What is auto-on

Post by irads »

Current fit-PC2 models wake-up automatically when power is resumed.
The explanation below applies only to the older fit-PC2 rev 1.21:
Auto-on for fit-PC2 means that the fit-PC2 boots automatically as soon as power resumes.
Auto-on is designated by the option -ON in the part number - eg FITPC2-C1600-W-ON.
Standard fit-PC2 revision 1.21 requires pressing the power button after power resumes in order for it to boot.
Auto-on requires special wiring with additional capacitors, it is not a BIOS setting and cannot be carried out by the user.

RonM

Just a bit more info please

Post by RonM »

On another thread I posted the following:

I can't find a description of the actual functioning of the instant-on feature. Is it an always-on-with-power feature (turns on when power is supplied)? Or is it a return-to-previous-state feature (boots and returns to previous state when power is interrupted)? Or something else? Can instant-on be overriden, so that it no longer functions? And is there any downside to the function?

Irads post answers part of this, but it is still not clear to me whether this means the device always turns on when power is supplied, or if this only happens after a non-standard shutdown (e.g. when power is lost).

And are there any potential downsides to this functionality?

Ron

irads

Re: What is auto-on

Post by irads »

You can still turn-off the fit-PC2 and it will stay off.
If you press the power button - fit-PC2 will turn on.
If power is interrupted - fit-PC2 will turn-on when power is resumed (this may be a downside in rare scenarios like very unstable power supply where you would prefer to protect the fit-PC2 by keeping it off after the first power loss).

RonM

Post by RonM »

Thanks, that answers my questions.

I'm not sure if I want this auto-restart function badly enough to undertake the delay -- have already ordered (but not received) my unit. We do have occasional power outs here in the countryside outside Toronto. Since I'm going to be using the device as a full-time music server, it would be nice if it restarted after an out, but it's not mission critical for me.

It would be nice if it were implemented as a BIOS option (I know that as configured it requires a hardware fix).

Ron

pellib

Post by pellib »

Maybe this has nothing to with what you are talking about so I'm sorry if I'm totally out of subject.

Can I start the Fit-PC2 using an universal remote ?

irads

Post by irads »

This requires a firmware upgrade in the IR controller and is currently not supported.

halestorm

Re: What is instant-on

Post by halestorm »

hi,

Even though you say that the auto-on is complicated and cannot be performed by the user, would you mind telling us how this is done anyway? There are a lot of very capable users out there. Since you don't charge more for this feature, I presume it's not a trade secret. It would just be nice to know.

Thanks very much.
Dave
http://evalbum.com/2500
almost no reason to burn gasoline anymore

Return to “Auto-ON”