Struggling with USB devices

alephant

Struggling with USB devices

Post by alephant »

Hi all,
I'm having problems with my second fit-pc. I had one who worked very well, I gave it to my father.
Then I bought a new one, and most of the times when I connect a USB (pen drive, hard disk, dvd etc) in the device manager the USB Host Controller gets a yellow bang, with error "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".
I have installed all the drivers and googled for weeks, trying to find a solution. Since as I said my first fit-pc did not have this problem, and nobody else in the forum seem to have reported teh same, I am starting to suspect that there is something wrong in this specific unit :(
Any advice?
Thanks

jens

Re: Struggling with USB devices

Post by jens »

I noticed this happening in Windows 7 only. Never any trouble with Windows XP on the same machine. Could it be that your first fit-pc was with XP?

Jens

alephant

Post by alephant »

No, I have installed Windows 7 on both machines.

jens

Post by jens »

When this happened to me Windows told me there was was a power surge
on the USB hub. This typically happened when I used the 2 USB ports
on the front. Does it also happen to you when you use the ports in
the back?

To restart the port after it is closed by Windows 7, you can enter device manager and do a disable and then enable of the device. Then it will work without rebooting the machine. This happened quite often to me and was
one of the reasons I stuck with windows xp.

alephant

Post by alephant »

It happens with the USB in the front and in the back, and the only other USB devices connected are the keyboard and the mouse. I don't think they surge so much power.
Regardless, I have also connected the USB disk through a powered USB hub.. still issue.
Thanks for the tip regarding the disable/enable in device manager. That's actually what I do to recover, but often I have to try so many times...
Maybe I will try XP or some older Win7 beta version, just for comparison.

Return to “Windows 7”